What's new

S15 spec R autos

W

wolvreen

Hi,

Anyone seen any for sale? I have seen a white one in London, but nothing else.

I need an auto for my leg before anyone says. I cannot use a clutch, its a shame you cannot put a DSG box into an S15.

How about importing one, I know the SVA was a PITA for an auto a while back, any news on this?

P

Pazz

The ESVA would be expensive if not impossible as there is no model report for an auto Spec-R.

One option is to see if anyone imported one pre ESVA. But if I'm honest, the chances of one being imported prior ESVA is pretty slim.

One totally different course of action, (but yet probably the best) is to buy a manual and then source an auto box from a S14/a. I am aware that people have fitted the 6MT S15 box into an S14/a so dont see why it cant be done the other way around. But I would research further into this.

There are literally sh*t loads of auto box's for the S14/a so these can be picked up cheap. And if your not wanting to do the work yourself, I'm sure if you found a respectable garage they would be able to do this for you.

You could even sell the 6MT box and recover some of the cost.

W

wolvreen

Thanks Helix, just came up with the same idea.
There are pre esva cars around, but like you say not many - I know of 3.

Reaction score
If you are thinking of doing a manual to auto conversion you will need a bit more than the auto box. You will need diff, drive shaft, gear box mount, brake peddle, auto loom, auto ECU. auto cluster, auto radiator or tranny cooler and the tranny relay thats located on the engine bay wheel arch;) Thats just off the top of my head:)

W

wolvreen

Yes thanks. Are all these items available after someone does an auto-man conversion?
How easy is it to damage these parts when its removed from an auto-man?

Reaction score
Yes, they should be with the exception of possibly the viscous diff. They all come out without damage if its done by a workshop/mechanic. Most of it is just unbolting. The only thing you would have to check is they have not cut the plugs off the gearbox loom as its a bit of mucking around rewiring new plugs;)

Reaction score
Country
I would certainly get a quote of a garage with experience of doing conversions on S14's etc. Maybe Jez @ Horsham Developments or APT ?

W

wolvreen

jez mentioned a big problem trying to connect together the S15 and S14a gearbox with the ECU etc

Reaction score
There was someone selling a non turbo s15 engine and autobox on here if your looking for a conversion... and PPS are selling a shell!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Converting from manual to auto seems like an expensive operation.
Auto spec-Rs are generally cheaper compared to manual ones in Japan.

So I would try contacting an ESVA company and see what the cost would be to get a new model-report made or how much a one-off model-report would be for a auto S15 Spec-R

It will probobly not be cheap, but you would save some money by getting an auto s15 from the start and save even more by not having to get the car rebuilt to auto.

I only know about 2 model-report companies in the UK.
http://www.modelreportsdirect.com
http://www.modelreports.com/

Could be an option if the price is OK.

W

wolvreen

Those links point nowhere, are they correct?
Whats the best websites to check for Jap cars ready to import to the UK?

W

wolvreen

Well spoke to one guy at modelreports, says the emissions are really bad, life cycle blah blah, never pass, blah blah
really negative about it.
The other guy is out for a few days, but will try and get him.

W

wolvreen

Right spoke to him, Neil bit more positive. But he says the same thing.
The other option is wait until next year and pick up a 10 year old s15 auto (using the nissan mfr build date) as it doesnt need a model report.

P

Pazz

I thought they were planning to scrap the 10-year rule? Neil is the chap I bought my car from, he is a sound fella.

But be aware that whoever you pay to commision the report takes a proportion of the cost of getting a model report drawn up as well. They do this so they can then "own" the report and hire it out to other importers. And they may not be too interested in an auto report.

Reaction score
Country
Why not wait and have a 99' Reg imported at the end of the year ready to register between Jan 09-May 09 ? That way you wont need to worry about ESVA or the new import laws due to come into effect, that way avoiding model report issues and saving a £1000+ :)