What's new

S15 Spec S Brake Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

My S15 Spec S has just been left with Horsham Developments today in order to replace the brakes.

Whilst this is being done I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes to something better than standard.

However this seems to be quite difficult at the moment as both the front and rear are 5 stud setups, which H-Dev informs me that there does not seem to be any options in regards to uprated brakes due to the current layout. The setup as it is for a spec S is apparently very similar to an S13's brake setup.

Im not looking to go too expensive, under the £1000 mark if possible, but just want some better brake discs and pads that will fit fine.

Ive been quoted £1500 for D2 Big Brake Kit that would fit the fronts and the price included rear discs and red stuff pads, as well as a brake fluid change.

So if anyone has any ideas/recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.

I have found some Wilwood big brake sets at £715, are these any good?

Regards

Ash

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Wilwood I have heard are pretty good.
I will have my set up for sale in the next couple of weeks. Evo 8 brembo calipers with adapters to fit 320mm sport groove discs and yellow stuff pads. Very good upgrade over standard. I also have uprated discs and ferodo pads for the rear could do a deal if you are interested .... All only covered 2-3k miles max .
I am only changing due to upgrading myself to d2 at the front and skyline rears

Reaction score
Country
I would be interested in them mate, but would need them asap, as my car is a daily drive and I have to go back and fourth to work in her.

Would you be willing to sell them earlier mate?

Regards

Ash

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Might be able to do it next week. Am waiting to collect my new fronts the rears are already done. Will get in contact with the guy I am getting them off , think he said they should be off the car Tuesday .
How soon do you need them?

Last edited:

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Front calipers from a UK 200SX can be got very cheap and are a straight forward swap - will need longer brake lines though. Then EBC discs and pads will have a more than capable set up for any spec S (rear calipers, discs and pads are the same as the Spec R AFAIK)

Go to the end of the page:
http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/3545-My-S15/page4

I think Z32 calipers are lighter, readily available and also not that big a job to fit (at the front) but I don't know for sure...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I've said it before, and I'll say it here... Evo/STI Brembo's, adaotir brackets, and Z32 brake master cylinder :thumbs:

Best combo that you can get, that won't drain your wallet.

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with R33/R34 Brembo calipers either and the good thing is you wont need adaptor plates, just larger bolts

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

Cheers for the advice. Ive decided that Im gonna go with Ultimax EBC disks + Yellow Stuff Pads at the rear and Wilwood 4 piston caliper 330mm big brake kit with grooved discs and hel stainless steel braided lines + Yellow Stuff Pads at the front.

This is all being ordered in by Horsham Developments and fitted by them as well.

Would have gone with the D2's, but there out of my budget at the moment.

Hopefully the Wilwoods will do a great job, as I have heard positive things about them, especially over in the US ;)

Reaction score
Country
Will those wilwoods work with the original handbrake assembley? I've been looking in to upgrading my rear brakes as well to match my front R33 GTR brake setup.
But i dont feel like swapping all the handbrake bits so I can fit Z32/GTST brakes.

Reaction score
The Wilwoods are a very good caliper, he wont need to worry about the handbrake assembly as he is only upgrading the front calipers as per his post

Reaction score
Country
ah right, must have misread that. Well not to hijack this thread. But if someone knows of a lovely option for a rear brake upgrade id love to hear ;)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
That sounds like a lot of money for the d2 kit. 356 mm kit new is 999 330 mm is 899 iirc so that means he is charging 500 to fit some brakes and rear discs and pads.... Sounds a lot to me

Reaction score
Country
a much cheaper option is what i have done go skyline brakes all round, slotted disks and reasonable pads. its not as good a wilwood but is half the price, and you get front and rear upgrades at the same time

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Skyline conversion is a decent set up too , plus looks oem+ which is nice, also pretty sure you can get bigger disc kits for them if you really wanted something like 345mm

Reaction score
Country
Yea I know, had this upgrade on my previous S14. But I want something differnent now so I dont have to swap the handbrake bits. Just want to swap the caliper and disc and be done.

Reaction score
The only options are a larger rotor with stock calipers or Z32 calipers which are pretty much the same if you want to retain the stock handbrake set up

Reaction score
Country
Z32 is equal to R33 GTST as far as I know. or maybe there is a difference between te turbo/na version of the z32.