What's new

Sloppy Rear....

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the weather is getting better i have had a little more confidence in the car and have been trying out all the handling mods i have done to the car over the past few months...

New Driftworks CS2 coilovers,
Rear camber and toe arms,
Rear strut brace,
Full alignment using the whiteline setting from this site....

But the car still feels strange, like the rear is somewhat detached from the rest??
Like i make a sharp turn and the back sort of follows a second later if that makes any sense?

Is this most likely to be soft subframe bushes? or roll bars or something?
I was thinking about getting subframe locking collars but wasn't sure if this would solve anything and ruin its daily driving abilities haha

Any words of wisdom on this from anyone?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
subframe locking collars are apparently the cure for this, either that or poly subframe bushes which is a lot more work. you probably should of fitted these before having alignment done as they will likely affect the settings a bit if you fit them now.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
have you changed the swaybars? To me that made the biggest difference in handling over everything else.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Locking collars will tighten the back end to a degree you won't believe. However, sway/anti-roll bars should be fitted if you're also doing coilovers. :)

S

StarletRick

i can recommed stiffer roll bars. i was having the same issues as you until i fitted some whitelike arbs.

the difference is quite dramatic.

Reaction score
Ok so i didnt realise the ARB's would be so important haha, any recommendations of which ones to get?

I looked at the Whiteline ones and they come in different sizes and adjustable and non adjustable..... i like having adjustable things but only if i need it haha if its gonna be left on soft for ever then theres no point in having i dont think??? the car isnt gonna see a track more than once a year if ever so i dont wanna over board......

Thanks for all the answers so far :thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
some that have been getting good reviews lately are the godspeed items sold by dbpower, they are not adjustable but are thicker than stock, made from chromoly steel and come with new bushes and thermoplastic drop links. i think the kits are 220.00 for a car kit, these are what i have bought for mine and i know others have fitted them with excellent results.
http://www.db-power.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=128_147_249&products_id=350
:)http://www.db-power.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=128_147_249&products_id=350

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Out of interest, do many people use the rear subframe locking colars?

If they tighten up the back end, what will that do for the handling - in terms of keeping the back end in check? And if the back end comes out, will the colars make it easier to control?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
im going to fit them - ive had them for months, just waiting for warmer weather. the research i have done says the original bushes are compliance oriented, in other words they are designed to stop vibration and noise entering the car and creating a more comfy, nicer ride. the problem with this is they also allow lots of movement of the rear subframe - affecting handling and power delivery through the rear wheels.

locking collars eliminate the movement by fixing the subframe directly to the chassis at the mounting points - the downside is it transfers a little more noise from the diff into the cabin, but apparently the rewards are worth the sacrifice. :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Do you know how they make the car handle Dean? I'm interested in buying a set too, but want to know how they will make the car behave! More noise isnt a bad thing either, unless its a daily driver!

:)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
sorry mate, im yet to find out. i plan on fitting them soon if you want to know then ill tell you. i am fitting the arb's later so the difference of the locking collars alone will be the only one i notice so i can give an accurate description of what fitting them alone will do:)

Reaction score
I think i will do both... :D i just hope the noise doesn't increase too much as the car is the daily drive!

Nicely did you fit the locking colors to your car? did the noise increase past an acceptable level??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I have Godspeed ARB's front and back and they are excellent kit for the money without the need to worry about how to adjust them correctly. The locking collars shouldnt make the noise much more excessive unless you have an aftermarket diff, though you may notice a bit more clunking than before.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have whiteline adjustable swaybars. There is only one option for the front being 27mm. The rear can either be 20mm or 22mm. I personally went for the 22mm. I have them set to medium on the front and soft on the rear. Each setting is worth about 2mm of swaybar.
My car see's some track time but I still haven't seen the need to adjust them yet. Mainly because I can't be bothered stuffing around at the track with my suspension. I just get there and drive it. :D

G

GUEST_JDM

just to the guys that asked about sub frame lockers and if there worth it, id say yes they are! its hard to explain what they feel like but for instance if your smashing some fish tales up the road as you flick the car back the other way from left to right the hesitation and swing into the change of direction is alot easier to controll, it also gave me less wheel spin when taking off on full throttle, also any one tried www.ultraracingaustralia.com, i fitted a full under body brace kit and that has to be the closest feeling to having a cage fitted, with out a cage lol

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I had Whitelines too. The collars are SO worth it. Take the car over a quick roundabout before and after and you won't believe the difference in sharpness. There will be added noise from the diff transmitting through the sub frame. Its a clunking noise which I refer to as diff knock :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
So they dont make the back end really twitchy or anything like that? :)

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone,

Collars are on order :D

Just got to decide on the ARB's and order them :nod:

Going to try fit the collars first then the roll bars to see how much difference each mod makes :thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
fitted my collars today - they do tighten up the rear end quite a bit, not that much noisier but at the moment its hard to tell as my exhaust is rattling against the underside of the car:rolleyes: took about an hour and a half all in all including a good clean up under there.....

cheap, good modification:nod: