What's new

spec s conversion to manual turbo

Reaction score
hi this is my first post on here!!

ive been a member for a while and have just sold my integra dc5, and am now looking for a s15..

i have found a really clean spec s automatic, and im after infomation and peoples views on changing engine and box to spec r engine and gearbox!!!

how easy is this? and is it worth doing??

also have been told that an rb25 engine and box would be a better choice?

can anyone help me with this.

thanks

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
There is a project thread on here where a member transplanted an S14a engine & box into an automatic Spec S, internet is so slow in work though so I'll have to look for a link later....

If you want Spec R performance I'd just buy a spec R... It'll be cheaper in the long run too because a converted Spec S will not have the same resale value as a genuine Spec R and the R has additional chassis bracing which is not in the S along with different drivetrain, brake set up (Front calipers, discs, pads & BMC) and then the engine, turbo & ancillaries!

Reaction score
There is a project thread on here where a member transplanted an S14a engine & box into an automatic Spec S, internet is so slow in work though so I'll have to look for a link later....

If you want Spec R performance I'd just buy a spec R... It'll be cheaper in the long run too because a converted Spec S will not have the same resale value as a genuine Spec R and the R has additional chassis bracing which is not in the S along with different drivetrain, brake set up (Front calipers, discs, pads & BMC) and then the engine, turbo & ancillaries!
hi thanks for the reply!!

what extra bracing does the spec r have?? if i was to put a SR20DET in to it would it just be a straight forward swop?

thanks

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
the spec r has larger anti roll bars and a rear upper bracing next to where the boot is :) depending how much you got your spec s for it could be worth doing it you plan on spending like mega £££ and replace everything :) you dont happen to need spec r side skirts? :wack: lol

Reaction score
so the bracing can be as simple as adding extra strut braces, anti roll bars, and maybe some extra welding!!!!

will a manual gear box fit straight in? and what have people done about clutch pedal and resevoir etc!!

sorry bout all questions its just i have found a mint condition yellow spec s for sale and wondering if its worth buying to do the manual turbo conversion!!

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Yea pritty much inside is a bit different aswell as the styling the manual box should fit alright aswell (Iam doing a manual conversion on a s14a and thats easy to do)
what you need to ask yourself is if your spending 5-6 grand on a spec s you would be just aswell holding out say till after xmas cause you wont be really wanting to drive it in the ****ty roads by then you should have enough funds to pay for one and get the insurance :) cause you will spend a good 3grand easy to get a spec s up to the level of a spec r just my opinion dude

Reaction score
Yea pritty much inside is a bit different aswell as the styling the manual box should fit alright aswell (Iam doing a manual conversion on a s14a and thats easy to do)
what you need to ask yourself is if your spending 5-6 grand on a spec s you would be just aswell holding out say till after xmas cause you wont be really wanting to drive it in the ****ty roads by then you should have enough funds to pay for one and get the insurance :) cause you will spend a good 3grand easy to get a spec s up to the level of a spec r just my opinion dude
yeah i know what your saying! just this spec s i have found is around £3.5k mark so i have the funds to do a conversion and its rare being yellow!!! i need to think hard a bout whether its worth doing!!!!

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I'm with Alan, save up over the Winter and buy a Spec R. They are ridiculously cheap at the minute especially when you consider what they were making 18months ago!

If you want to convert it to a similar spec of the spec R you will need Spec R diff, driveshafts, gearbox engine & ancillaries (clutch, flywheel, turbo, exhaust set up, intercooler, injectors, pumps etc...) as well as upgarded front brakes and new alloys to fit over the new calipers (if it has the standard alloys). There is also a lot of structural bracing on the R but my Spec S improved drastically with strut braces, ARB's, coilovers and alignment arms front and rear so that might sort out that issue. The Spec R parts are a good bit more expensive than 200SX ones so you won't be long making up the difference between your cheap Auto S and a good condition manual R when all is considered.... You may also have increased insurance premiums for a car that has an engine transplant so the R could quickly end up being the cheaper option.

A cheaper alternative would be to buy a crashed UKDM 200SX and use all the parts out of it! The older S14a set up doesn't produce the same performance as the Spec R but that may not matter so much if you're thinking about going with aftermarket upgrades down the road...

Reaction score
yeah im starting to agree with everything that converting the spec s might not be the way to go!!!

out of interest what do you think a yellow spec s, with aero kit and 48000 miles, automatic sell for?? as would help with funds to buy a spec r!!!
the car is fresh import in extremely good condition 1999 model

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Impossible to say without seeing it but if it's as you describe I'd guess at £4000-4500..? They don't come up for sale too often.

Reaction score
Impossible to say without seeing it but if it's as you describe I'd guess at £4000-4500..? They don't come up for sale too often.
yeah it was mint condition when i looked at it!! im just a bit worried about it being automatic, whether it would sell or not

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I don't mean to sound like I'm intent on putting you off or anything but there was a yellow Auto Spec S for sale in an import company in Dublin for the best part of a year so it might be hard to shift... They are very rare but an automatic spec S in yellow is definately an aquired taste...