What's new

Speedo dials... anyone know how to make them?

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
I'm totally used to driving around using kph now, in fact it makes way more sense to me than mph which is something I'd never expected... I can completely imagine how far a few km's are whereas after all this time of driving I still can't properly imagine how far miles are. Trouble is we are stuck with the imperial system here still, so as backwards as that seems, I would rather have a speedo that is suited to the environment if it were easy enough to manage.

I have a set of nismo dials (and the original dials too) and I wondered if anyone had any of the following:

1) template for dials in mph
2) the ability to design/print/cut dials that match the originals
C) the desire to do it

Seems like a simple way of converting the speed, especially if your dials go all the way up to 280kph but even though the speedo is a simple dial (black background, yellow font) if it didn't match it might look a bit gash. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Reaction score
Country
I think everyone just uses speedo converters- that also means your nismos will read up to 280 mph :D

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Haha yeah that'd be pretty wild! I'm not holding out much hope but it's a simple job and a lot of the converters are terrible so this seems sensible. Especially if you want nismo dials like me :)

Reaction score
Mook, who used to be a member here did exactly this. They weren't particularly cheap but he was supposed to be good, used to be into celica's and made rally rep decals for the st185 and st205. Will have a quick search and see if i can pull his details up....

Reaction score
If you get some made see if there will be a discount for doing 2, i wouldn't mind the nismo's but couldnt do the kph thing

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
well, alas, he's not up for the job. I'm ok with kmh, but if something lands on my lap I'll let you know. If it's an easy job I might even have a go myself - I assume that getting the correct material is the most difficult part, followed by accurate printing.

Reaction score
Country
What are the best converters for the S15? I've just got a fresh import and it just has an MPH dial stuck over the original but only goes to about 110 and still clocks up in KMs.

immy21

Reaction score
Country
Don't waste your money on cheaper ones, buy one from TorqueGT, it was about £60ish and works perfectly. Phone them.
http://torque-gt.co.uk/

SVA parts converter only worked to about 40mph then had a spaz attack after that. They did offer to replace it but after searching around, seemed a common problem with the cheaper small converters on s15's so didn't try another from them.
Jaycar unit was a lifeless dud.

S15's ABS computer converts the signal to a fixed voltage, variable frequency changes with speed as opposed to the norm of voltage changing with speed. Something like that anyway.

On a related note for anyone good with MSword, what font would match the OE kph logo on the clocks?
Bit pedantic but I want to print mph on clear paper with the silver/gray background fading out to make it look OE as possible.

Last edited: