What's new

Starting issues

A

alexfalk

Was about to take the S15 out of the garage yesterday but the car did not start. I will take a look at it in the weekend but thought I would run a few Qs with you first.

Does the S15 have a Imobilizer?

The car didn?t come close to spark so I?m guessing no fuel. So are there any fuces for the fuelpump?

I will troubleshoot in the weekend but if anyone has any ideas that might help it would be appreciated.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The immobilizer (NATS) was a factory option I beliave. Not that common.
If your car took the scenic route via the UK before landing in Sweden (which I doubt considering the spec ;) ) it should have an immobilizer as it needs one (Cat 1) to pass the ESVA test.

the fuel pump fuse is located in cabin to the right of the pedals.
There should be a fuse diagram in the useful threads section.

Has the car been running low on gas?
I know that when the cars come off the boat, they come with practically no gas at all.
There is a small chance that the filter on the fuel pump has been clogged by sucking up the last bits and peices it could find in the tank.

Could also be the pump itself which is dead.
walbros are plug 'n' play jobbies :)

A

alexfalk

Ok, where is it located if there is one fitted?
No I took mine to Sweden directly. But while you are reading this thread I would like to check with you if I can borrow your stock rear lights for the inspection? I will send it through in the first half of January.

I found the fuse diagram. THX

I filled the car up when I unloaded the container and have been driving it about 10km so that should not be the issue.

When I turn the ignition on I can?t hear the pump.

I doubt that it?s the pump itself but one can hope because it will be upgraded anyway.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sure. You'll have to pay for the delivery though :)
Just a reminder. The stock lights aren't e-marked. So if you get a strict engineer he might fail you.

Well, can?'t think of anything else except the fuel pump or the fuse.

A

alexfalk

I?m well aware of that. But it?s cheaper to give it a try first.

BTW. I have modded a few S15 headlights before. But you don?t know if there are any parts that will fit in them so you don?t have to grind them down?

I will check later. But it shouldn?t be a big problem to get it running.

A

alexfalk

Of course it turns over. But The problem will be sorted. I will get back if there really is a problem.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I'm not sure about the Nissan NATS (immobilizer) location as I don't have it.
But i think it should be mounted on the ECU which is located on the passenger side footwell on the left side.

I remember there being some sort of bracket there in my car.
But you should be able to spot if it has the NATS system installed by looking at your key. If it's nice and slim it doesn't have it. If it's bulky it might have it.

my key looks kinda like the Nismo key, but with the grip bit in plastic isntead of steel. So if it looks like that your shouldn't have NATS.

disclaimer.
I haven't seen a NATS key so don't take my word for it that it's larger and bulkier compared to the regular key.
I'm just assuming it's bigger as it would need a microchip fitted in it.

A

alexfalk

Well my key is kinda bulky. But the reason for that is that it has a microchip for the door lock button on the key.

i have noticed a black box just becides the ECU. Do you have that on yours? I?m suspecting that it is fitted with a immobilizer. Let?s just hope that is not the reason for the nonstarting issue as I have tried the normal procedures to check if there is a problem with the immo. (Locking and unlocking the door, and reinstalling the battery)

A

alexfalk

Ok, thanks for that.

I carried out some tests on the car today and found that the fuel pump was working when I hooked it up to another power source. I also measured the elektricity by the fuses and there was no voltage to the fuel pump or to the engine control. However I could get 9volts to the injectors. But it dropped down when I turned the engine over.

I did not measure the couplings for the injectors. But I could not get it to start even when the fuel pump was hooked directly to the battery.

I will check the ignition tomorrow. But i wonder if it?s normal not to get any reading from the engine control fuse?

Where is the relay for the fuel pump located?

Does anyone recognize this problem?

Last edited:
O

oilrag22

Please check if your ECM and FUELPUMP relay are ground switched by the engine management. Also check your battery voltage, 9 volts or less, when starting over is too low to get the electronics to work properly. You should at least have a reading of 9.5 volts or higher on the battery terminals when starting.

You can do a inboard battery check, get the car in gear, e-brake on, depress footbrake, have a multimeter connected to the battery terminals and set to the right reading/settings. When turning the ignition over all the way to the start position, the starter will lock up against the flywheel, do a quick reading on the multimeter, anything below 9.5 Volts... replace your battery with a good unit.

A

alexfalk

I might be blind but I can?t see the Fuelpump relay on the sheet:p

I use another car to start the s15. So the battery is sufficient.

O

oilrag22

Jump starting off another car, doesn't proof that your battery is okay. Cause you are using an external powersource.......in theory, your car would even start without the battery in it, when the terminals are connected to another car's battery with jump leads.

Your fuelpump relay sits in the rhd side footwell, behind the side kick panel. The ECM relay is located on the lhd side footwell also behind the side kick panel.

A

alexfalk

No it doesn?t but i should be able to start the car with an external powersource no matter what condition the other battery is in.

Thanks for the info. Will check later.

A

alexfalk

Finally my car is back together however the problem is still the same. Seems just like the ECU don´t start up. I plugged the consult in to it and could not connect to the ECU. I tried to swap into the power FC but the problem was the same. We put the ECM relay into my friends car and it worked fine. However when we disconnected the relay and tried to start the car his car showed the exact same problem as mine. My thoughts turn to the harness for the ECM relay. But before I dive in to it I want to check with you guys if you have any ideas?

G

gunner93

Have you tried to audit the immo/alarm length of wirings to ensure they are not exposed or messed up? :rolleyes: Had a similar issue with my friend's S15 not too long ago. We diagnosed for almost 3 hours flat with fuses and ECU swap etc. and still cant solve it. Finally towed it to the garage early in the morning and we boozed till dawn. Next day the problem was fixed.

Last edited:
A

alexfalk

I thought that the S15 did not have immo or alarm:confused:
But the problem is similar to that.

G

gunner93

I thought that the S15 did not have immo or alarm:confused:
But the problem is similar to that.
Just that many are installed with wide array of after-market immo with no wiring diagram handed over. In our case, it was the last thing in our minds and that really beat the hell out of us. :confused: