What's new

Stock Front Brake Disk for Spec R question about fitment

Reaction score
Country
Does anyone know how far the hat sticks out from the disk on the stock disk, By hat i mean the part where the wheel touches the disk and gets bolted on.

As the current disks dont allow either of my wheels to fit without rubbing on the strut, the disks are 310mm which i think are from a R34GTT.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
approx 30mm. If you want a very accurate measurement, I will have to get my old disks out.

Reaction score
Country
thanks for the info meddler

these stick out 22mm from surface of disk, other question is how far do the studs stick out from the hat, mine stick out 22mm, im wondering if i even have factory hubs or has someone cut the studs shorter??? all the things you discover buying a car.................... as once i put a stock disk on will i even be able to get enough thread to put the nut on with. hmmmmmmm

S

S15 SILVIA

Surely the distance from disc face to mounting face is irrelevant?
The mounting faces themselves are all pretty much the same sort of thickness. Ie how thick the metal is on the mounting face. The only real problem with the disc face to mounting face being different, is that it might not mate with the calipers mount position.
If things have been bodged together, you will need to find the exact disc to replace the old one with, and maybe replace the studs, or add spacers if need be.

Reaction score
Country
all spacers in New Zealand require a cert ( another $400 later) and they have to be proper bolt on spacers not just packers

Reaction score
Country
Surely the distance from disc face to mounting face is irrelevant?
The mounting faces themselves are all pretty much the same sort of thickness. Ie how thick the metal is on the mounting face. The only real problem with the disc face to mounting face being different, is that it might not mate with the calipers mount position.
If things have been bodged together, you will need to find the exact disc to replace the old one with, and maybe replace the studs, or add spacers if need be.
according to meddler the stock ones stick out 10mm more then the current ones, 10mm would give me clearance from the strut

S

S15 SILVIA

according to meddler the stock ones stick out 10mm more then the current ones, 10mm would give me clearance from the strut
Yes I understand what your saying, but generally the mounting face will be the same thickness. The thickness of the metal on the mounting face. Ie hub->mounting face of disk->wheel.
The distance the friction surface of the disc sits back is irrelevant! All this will do is make sure the disc friction face lines up with the caliper.
Disk faces are generally bout 8-10 on all disks.
Think about it. The disk face is fastened to the hub, and the length of the hat (think it's true name is 'bell') determines how far back the disk sits into the hub assembly.

Reaction score
Country
Yes I understand what your saying, but generally the mounting face will be the same thickness. The thickness of the metal on the mounting face. Ie hub->mounting face of disk->wheel.
The distance the friction surface of the disc sits back is irrelevant! All this will do is make sure the disc friction face lines up with the caliper.
Disk faces are generally bout 8-10 on all disks.
Think about it. The disk face is fastened to the hub, and the length of the hat (think it's true name is 'bell') determines how far back the disk sits into the hub assembly.
I get what your saying mate, its the thickness of the hat or bell that determines now far off the wheel will sit makes sense, both sets of wheels i have fit the spec S perfectly but then again it has factory struts disks, is this the offest of both sets of wheels i have that suck. The wheels currently on the car came with it, but the strut was just raised in the front to clear the wheel, but raised up to a stupid ride height, wheels are 17x8, how do i go about finding the offset, the only other number on the wheels is a 38 which is in the center of the wheel, all the other numbers, to do with the weight and the stud spacing. Is the 38 the offset??? and what is 30 measured from and too??

Here are pics of setup & with wheel off and on.

S

S15 SILVIA

Bugger. You can't run that like that! Nowhere near enough clearance.
I'm guessing the 38 figure is the offset. Looks like the ofset is too high for the mods that you are running. Coilovers, Different hubs?
These sort of things are hit and miss between all Silv owners. 1 set of coilovers may clear, others won't etc. Don't think it's as easy as they for you tho.
By the looks, you would need either spacers to fit them wheels. Maybe 10mm? Hard to say without looking, or you will need either narrower wheels (crap option), of some wheels with a lower offset. Maybe et30-25, or differnent wheel design, shape. Without seeing it's all guess work mate.
The et is the distance the wheel is biased from centre line. Google it mate, it's hard to explain. Ha ha
Mike

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If you can wait, I can take a wheel off this weekend and take some pics with measurements so you can compare.

Reaction score
Country
If you can wait, I can take a wheel off this weekend and take some pics with measurements so you can compare.
mate that would be very much appreciated, yes i can wait. Its just a bit confusing as i have never owned a spec r before and it did not come factory everything, so i just dont know what it should be, in case a previous bogan owner did bogan things to it when trying to modify it....

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
no worries, will try and get it done for you. If you haven't got the info by sunday night, send me a pm.

S

S15 SILVIA

Is this a 300zx.(fairlady) brake setup? What hubs are they mounted to? Factory or 300zx?
Anyone know what this mod would do to wheel offsets etc?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
They are off an R34GTT. The 300zx are the same as an R33GTST which should be 296mm. Not sure about the changes in the wheel offsets

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yes, but how much better is open to debate. A larger disk / caliper combination will always give better braking force and better heat dissipation. Obviously if you were using 356mm K-Sports, there would be a very noticeable difference, but to go from 280mm to 296mm would be difficult to notice day to day.