What's new

Trying to diagnose a coilover problem - height wont adjust

Reaction score
Country
Im in the process of changing my rideheight to suit the cars certification limits for rideheight, which unfortunately means the car needs to go up by 10mm to be legal, i have tein SS and have adjusted the fronts no problems, the rear left adjusted ok but for some reason the rear right does not want to change its height?? I have changed the distance on the thread for the nuts and its exactly the same on both struts but it just wont alter the height on the right hand side, cant see anything leaking the shock still functions ok theres no noises and the damper still changes as it should, when the car is jacked up the wheel drops down naturally to where it should.
Kind of a bit baffled with this one?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Have you loosened all the bolts and nuts for the lower arms? When they are tight they stop the suspension from settling to it's new position... I had the opposite before where I'd lower the suspension and drop it down and it hardly changed. The bushes and tight bolts stopped the arms coming to rest lower and the tension in the rubber bushes twisting held it up... Worth a try mate :)

Reaction score
Country
Have you loosened all the bolts and nuts for the lower arms? When they are tight they stop the suspension from settling to it's new position... I had the opposite before where I'd lower the suspension and drop it down and it hardly changed. The bushes and tight bolts stopped the arms coming to rest lower and the tension in the rubber bushes twisting held it up... Worth a try mate :)
cheers dean, i have loosened all but the bolts on camber, toe, lower control arms & there adjustment nuts except for the traction arms on the subframe end, are so tight and i just cant get a good enough angle on the nuts.
I have taken the rear struts out and adjusted both of them to way higher then i want and put them back in but swapped them left to right, once back in the car was higher on both sides but the right hand side sat 10mm lower then the left, which is exactly difference in height i had to start with, i just thought the right was not moving, so that rules out the coilovers.. which i glad its not them.

What else can affect the height of the car in the rear or at least cause a difference in height between both sides??
could it be the traction arms subframe bolts being stubborn as all hell?

I have just replaced all four tires with brand new rubber, in the rear the wear was uneven, the left was bald & the right still had 5mm of tread left might this of had a affect when i got the car aligned about 4 months ago.
I took the car for drive to see if it would settle anything down into place but still the same.

Last edited: