What's new

Turbo trouble..

P

POC

Hi,

Just bought my first s15 there about month ago and there seems to be trouble already!

When i give it full throttle and keep full throttle up through revs i start getting a rattly noise around 5-6k revs.

This doesnt happen in low revs or in high revs(on low throttle) only on full throttle on high revs.

It sounds like theres sometthing rattling around in turbo, i think turbo fooked!!
Any help will be appreciated

Patjoe

B

baynz

have you checked the heat shield on the mani isnt loose, because they do tend to rattle.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
whats ur spec on the car....mine rattles a bit but doesnt sound like tis coming from the turbo tho
its just inside the car for me duno where tho ahaha

Reaction score
Country
Bring it to a workshop and get the turbo checked out. Try tightening all of the bolts on the turbo. I've heard of cases of rattling noise coming out of turbo on boost if the bolts on the turbo is loose.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
^^^ :nod: It could be det, especially if you are running it on 95RON... What boost are you running, and has it been remapped?

Reaction score
Check the gaskets. Mine made a rattle at hi revs/throttle and it was the 4 bolts from turbo to manifold. Andy the gasket was very worn due the thr rattling. Changed all gaskets and all fine, no rattle.

It's worth stripping down and changing the gaskets anyway, just for peace of mind.

P

POC

Check the gaskets. Mine made a rattle at hi revs/throttle and it was the 4 bolts from turbo to manifold. Andy the gasket was very worn due the thr rattling. Changed all gaskets and all fine, no rattle.

It's worth stripping down and changing the gaskets anyway, just for peace of mind.
Ya mechanic said itd be that, wanna get new mani and turbo elbow so i'll do the lot then!

any suggestion on mani and elbow(single or dual chamber)

P

Paddy

it could be rattling bolts, but at that point in the rev range it could also be det. det would sound metallic, high frequency rattle.

i recommend that you don't drive it too hard until youre sure what it is, as det can kill the engine. it could be fuelling related aswell... fuel pump, injectors, afm etc... anything to cause it running lean.

do you use a boost controller? how much boost do you run?

P

POC

Oh, i forgot. If you do take it all off, get some braided oil and water lines too :thumbs:

Where would i source them from?

@Paddy ya i havent been driving it much latley at all more to the fact i dont have a radio in it yet!! but if i do drive it, i go handy. In the middle of fitting boost guage, it has an evc but im not too sure if its set up right so gonna do the mani and gaskets then get her rolled to see how shes running.

P

POC

Apex Performance, Driftworks, Hose solutions. Same as S14.
Cheers, driftworks seem to be the one, not the cheapest but they seem good quality.

@Nicely where abouts did you get the carbon shield for your abs unit?

Thanks to ye ive a shopping list the length of my arm!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I got it from Top Stage, but I have to say that the quality isn't to good, and none of the supplied brackets actually reach anything to attach it to...

P

POC

ya just had a look there at there site, does anyone have the airbox battery covers they'd look nice!

P

POC

Ordered some of my bits yesterday, manifold,elbow, and walbro fuel pump off driftworks and oil & water braided lines off hose solutions.

Should have work done by end of week i'll let ye know how it goes!

Thanks

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Should have mentioned. Use only Nissan original gaskets for the mani to head, turbo to mani and turbo to elbow :nod: If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself in a couple of months when one starts blowing...

P

POC

Should have mentioned. Use only Nissan original gaskets for the mani to head, turbo to mani and turbo to elbow :nod: If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself in a couple of months when one starts blowing...

Ive used the gaskets that came with the mani and elbow before with no problems! Are they known to give trouble alot?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Depends how long they've been fitted. If you don't know, you'd be foolish not to change them. If you had changed them recently, I'd agree with you.

I'd also suggest using copper nuts on the turbo and make sure you use new plate locks :) Turbo and manifold nuts are renowned for coming loose. Turbo to manifold gaskets can go quite easily.

P

POC

Depends how long they've been fitted. If you don't know, you'd be foolish not to change them. If you had changed them recently, I'd agree with you.

I'd also suggest using copper nuts on the turbo and make sure you use new plate locks :) Turbo and manifold nuts are renowned for coming loose. Turbo to manifold gaskets can go quite easily.
I bought the mani and elbow off driftworks they come with all the gaskets and driftworks lock nuts, that should do the trick!!