What's new

URGENT - Lights playing up big style!!

Reaction score
Country
Ok, what i'm about to describe happened suddenly and out of the blue.
the lights have a mind of their own..

A table is best to explain the funky light patterns:

Sidelights on their own work fine

sidelights + indicator = sidelights flashing (like hazards), left indicator flashing in opposite sync to the sidelights.

sidelights + left indicator = as above, but with left side repeater

sidelights + right indicator = exactly same as left indicator. the right side repeater wont work

Main beam = wont work full stop. just does the same as the above combinations

Full beam = As above, wont work.

Hazards = The dash goes bezerk, flashing everything randomly, needles jumping around.. dont like it at all :(

Also, when the crazy stuff starts one of the relays in the fuze box goes bzzzzzz. its labelled as 'HID'. the topmost one on the right i believe.

Actions:
All lights are working (they havent blown)
All the fuses in the fuse box are fine
The relay was replaced, and th same thing happened, so its not that particular relay
I've been over every earthing point i can find to ensure its got a good connection

Basically, i cant drive at night now, so any ideas would be VERY useful!
thanks

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Wow, that's not ideal! I'm going to guess at a dodgy earth somewhere. I had an earth come loose on my first car and some crazy things happened until I found the problem.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, it sounds like an earth issue. Maybe take it to an auto electrician if you can't find an easy fix.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
When it happened to my Rover, it was because the earth line had corroded and eventually snapped.

Reaction score
Country
ah ok, i found an earth cable flapping around behind the headlight, so connected that to the rad support, but no joy. i dunno if its because if a crap earth on that one, or if its something else that i cant seem to find.. ripped the fuse box out yesterday, and all the cables & connectors look brand new. i might get some photos up labeling all of the earthing points i've found in the engine bay, in the hope someone can find me a few more :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Make a temporary earth to replace the broken one to see for sure if it is that or not.

Reaction score
I had the same problem mate. Its the 2 earths behind the lights on the radiator core support, they weren't tightened.

Reaction score
Country
fixed ittt!!

it was the early lead behind the driver side headlight, when i connected it to the support above it (and thought it was earthed) the problems still happened, so i spent ages trying to work out why, checking all cables on the car etc, but then i moved the earth point for this cable to the one on the side of the plenum, and hey presto.. works :D

i've now created an earth point on the bracket holding the boost sensor? if thats what it is. that black plastic thing next to the strut & fuse box with a boost hose going into it.

problem solved.

cheers guys!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
good you fixed it.

Reaction score
Country
cheers guys! i was so stressed with it!! and wasnt looking forward to an expensive auto electrician bill :(

but i guess a lot of patience helps. whilst we're on the subject, i've found an earthing strap connected, onto a circle plug looking thing (theres 2, only 1 is earthed though) just above the rear diff. whats this for?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Do you mean when you look underneath from the back of the car? If so those circle plug looking things are your 2 rear diff mounts! It will just be an earthing strap as the diff is mounted on rubber mounts. Prevents any static build-up I guess.

:)

Reaction score
Country
Do you mean when you look underneath from the back of the car? If so those circle plug looking things are your 2 rear diff mounts! It will just be an earthing strap as the diff is mounted on rubber mounts. Prevents any static build-up I guess.

:)
yup! those are the ones!

nice one, cheers! my earth strap wasnt connected, just hanging off, but if its nothing major, then i'l figure that out when i get time :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think it's an earth strap anyway, can't imagine what else it could be. The gearbox has a speed/abs sensor in it so they are the only wires that I know of around there.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I thought the speed sensor comes from the diff.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Glad you got it sorted mate :thumbs: I hope I never have these type of earthing problems as it would drive me insane haha!!!

Yeah the black plastic thingy that hangs of a metal bracket on the driver's side suspension turret is the OEM boost sensor which takes a vacuum hose reading from a plenum hose etc :)