What's new

URGENT - where is the 6 speed MT fill plug?

E

empty_inside

Hi,

Sorry for the urgent but the car's currently on the ramp.

I've a spec R 6 speed, and don't know which of several options is the fill plug. The service manual shows something that bares no resemblance to my car - is that a 5speed (I heard the S14 looks a bit like that).

Mine is pictured below from the DRIVER'S side. Plug A has a torx fitting, plug B is a hexagonal shape.

Clicky for bigger:

Also, on the passenger side there's a standard bolt head sticking out which looks out-of-place, i.e. isn't symmetrical to anything. Tbh it could be any of the 3 :S

So, A or B or neither?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'd be going for A personally. ''A'' is the highest point and looks easiest to access of the two, and ''B'' looks as if it's part of the bell housing.

Reaction score
I though you filled the box by removing the gear gaiter and gear lever. AM i right or wrong because i'll be doing the same in the next few days.

E

empty_inside

Adam: A has a torx fitting too, like the drain plug, although B takes a hex driver and is clearly meant to move too. Dunno why the bell housing would need two plugs. A is higher, but then I thought people over-filled because the fill plug was quite low?

AL: Apparently you can, but I think it's fiddly and you have to take a fair amount of trim out. You can certainly fill it from the side (and you'll be there anyway to get the drain out). I think the reason people go for the top is that it makes overfilling easier, but I've got a massive metal syringe which will make it easy for me.

Reaction score
The reason people fill from the gaiter is because they can't remove the filler plug.

The reason I said ''B'' looks like it's part of the bell housing is because I can see the rubber gaiter for the clutch release arm on the picture.

When you've got stiff plugs, it's a good idea to ''shock'' them with a hammer to loosen the thread, thus making it easier for removal. I'd still think ''A'' would be the filler point if I was under the car.

Reaction score
yes i believe it is a commonly done thing to overfill the gearbox's on s15 to reduce noise.

Reaction score
yes and as AdamL mentions shocking the plugs with a hammer as the treads on alluminium crode and cause them to seize. shocking them just breaks this bonding action.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think the fill and drain points an the other side of the box (left hand side) IIRC it's a 19mm stubby bolt about half way up the box. Pretty obvious when you look at it. ;)

It's also quite easy to remove the shifter. I wait until it leaks out the fill point, refit the fill plug then add about 300ml extra fluid. It removes some notchyness from shifting gears.

E

empty_inside

Hmm on the other side? Thing is "A" in my picture looks "obviously" like a plug - recessed drive, identical plug directly below it at the bottom (which looks like a drain plug).

The service manual seems to agree with you about a wide stubby bolt on the left-hand side though:

[clicky]

Looks like the drain plug is another wide stubby bolt too.

Looking very closely at the service manual, FMT020 shows what I think are the two torx plugs - they hold back springs and steel balls. I wonder how many people have undone them thinking they look like plugs. The hex drive thing on the right ("B") seems to be a pivot for a "shift arm" although again I can't be completely sure.

Anyone remember this clearly or even better have pics? I'm just being very careful because one wrong move with a gearbox and you've got springs and steel balls everywhere and a toasted gearbox :S

Reaction score
Drain and Fill plugs are both on the passenger side. 24mm bolts, fill above, drain below. I was going to do this last weekend but didn't have a 24mm socket. Most socket sets only go up to 22mm so you may have to buy a 24mm socket seperately like me. Also, you'll need a way to get the fluid in - a pump or a suction gun (basically a large syringe). I'll slightly overfill by jacking the passenger side up only. People fill via the shifter because getting the fluid in otherwise is difficult without a pump / suction gun. Make sure you use a GL-4 fluid for the gearbox. Plenty of debate on the internet over GL-4 vs GL-5. I'll stick with the manufacturer's recommendation given they designed the box.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hmm on the other side? Thing is "A" in my picture looks "obviously" like a plug - recessed drive, identical plug directly below it at the bottom (which looks like a drain plug).
I wasn't being sarcastic, just meant when you find it you'll see what I mean :)

It is halfway up the passenger side of the box, roughly in the middle of the 'gear section' that you've posted the pic of above. Probably the only 24mm bolt there. It looks the same as the drain plug too IIRC.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm about to do the same job this week. Good job I recently bought a 24mm socket to undo the nut for the alternator pulley hehe :)

And I've been recommended Redline Heavy Shockproof 75W-140. A lot of people go for the Lightweight version of same box oil but I'm going for heavy as I don't mind the notchiness at cold and I need more protection as regular launches/clutch kicks generates a lot more heat and I'm on box preservation mode lol :wack:

E

empty_inside

Craig: sorry mate, I wasn't being sarcastic either. I'd genuinely have said those torx jobs look like drain/fill plugs to me, especially as a pair. I quoted "obviously" because actually they're not!

Lupix: I've got some standard 75w-90 (motul gear 300) cause I'm running stock power and try to be nice to the 'box!

E

empty_inside

OK I took it to a garage in the end because it couldn't safely get it high enough to get to the plugs on the other side. I couldn't hang around so I couldn't get any photos. It turns out that in the depths of the service manual (MT-15) they are just about shown - enough that you can tell they're bolt heads. The manual also shows that the torx jobs hold back springs and "steel balls" :S

Thanks for all the help everyone!

tl;dr Oil plugs are (24mm?) bolt heads on the passenger side of the car. Maybe this should go in the "which oil" sticky or something?

Reaction score
I changed the oil in mine this weekend just gone. As said filler is halfway up gearbox on passanger side, drain is at the bottom on the same side. 24mm spanner required. I used amsoil severe gear 75w - 90w oil because scientific studies prove its the best!