What's new

VVT Fuse On Spec R (1999)

wutang200

Reaction score
Where abouts is this fuse in the driver footwell?

Just need to double check to make sure my VVT is working ok as my boost builds too slow until 4.7k. Already checked for boost leaks, cleaned the AFM, tested with Lambda disabled, replaced actuator with a HKS one, tried with EBC off, etc.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm pretty sure vvt doesn't come in till later in the rev range so i wouldnt think that the vvt isnt working if boost builds fine at those revs....what other details do you have about the setup? have you checked the plumbing on everything?

wutang200

Reaction score
Ah ok. I just thought I'd double check the VVT is definitely working. I've adjusted my HKS actuator by one turn inwards to see if it makes a difference but I've not had a chance to drive it at all due to the extremely poor road conditions.

I've triple checked the plumbing and it seems fine.

Hopefully adjusting my actuator has fixed the issue but I won't really know until I get onto the motorway for a 4th gear blast and record my boost curve.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
so you have it running actuator pressure when the controller is off? if its because of the controller then you gain setting is to high/low pending on the controller. i just played with mine untill i found a nice set up.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It does sound really strange. When it does come on boost, is it to the pressure you would expect for that RMP?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
what turbo have you got on there? my boost kicks in fine but when i change one of the settins on the controller (delay) i controlls how fast the turbo spools. ive got a duel spec II type R took me a few attempts tp find the right settings. might be worth having a play with yours what model is it? do you have a manual for it
?

wutang200

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I'm trying to sort the boost without switching on the EBC as on my S14a I used to run purely off actuator pressure using exactly the same setup as I have now and it used to spool up & hold boost fine.

At the moment the boost only comes in at 5k which is very late, this is when flooring it from 3.5k in 4th gear in a straight line.

What I've now done is turned the actuator arm by half a turn inwards so hopefully it'll spool up normally as theres more preload on the spring to keep the wastegate shut better.

I've just not had the chance to take it out for a spin that's all due to the bad weather.

I just wanted to make sure the VVT fuse was ok to make sure this wasn't the reason I was experiencing this problem thats all.

EDIT: I'm running the standard turbo that came with the car which is a T28R.

wutang200

Reaction score
Right after loads of snow and other types of bad weather, I finally managed to go out for a spin since adjusting my actuator arm by half a turn inwards for more boost but I'm still having the same problem.

Had a play with my Blitz and anything over SET 20 causes the car to run too much boost (1.07bar on standard map isn't good) so I then left this setting at 20 as anything below this doesn't make any difference at all since it's set using the minimum actuator pressure on my HKS actuator. Now I tried turning the gain up slowly but it didn't make much difference no matter what setting I set it to, so then I wacked the GAIN to 100 and the car does feel a lot quicker & pulls much better but it still doesn't make full boost until 5k.

Now the only thing I can think of is to do another half turn on the actuator and leave the other settings as they are but I'm worried that the boost pressure will be set higher than what I am happy with. It's already hitting 0.9bar right now and I can't run lower than this without the boost taking forever to build.

Pretty annoyed with this issue now as I've just gone out and used up about a quarter tank just trying different things out to fix this issue. Wish there was another way to do this without hitting the motorway all the time and flooring it in 4th or 3rd.

What should I do then? Increase actuator by half a turn and take a gamble to see what happens or leave it alone and ditch the EBC for something else or go to a mechanic?

EDIT: Best thing about the car right now is it doesn't boost spike which is good!

wutang200

Reaction score
Right I've now adjusted the actuator by 3 and a half turns inwards and did a boost run in 4th gear as before but I still have ther same issue but it peaks a little higher to 1.01 bar instead of staying at 1.00 bar after 5000 rpm.

Actuator arm length is now around 142mm.

Did another test where I set GAIN to 0 and SET to around 30 and floored it at 4000rpm in 5th which instantly made it hit 0.99 bar which is what I wanted but once it got past 5000rpm, it crept to around 1.04 bar so I had to back off. With EBC off, the car hit 0.7 bar straight away when doing the same then crept up from 5000rpm to 1.01 bar.

I'll adjust by another full turn and see what happens. If the boost goes higher than 1.02 bar after 5000rpm then it's not an actuator problem IMO and is something else.

So can anyone tell me where the VVT fuse is located in the fuse box??