What's new

What BOV do you have and why?

Reaction score
Country
Title pretty much says it. Im just confused on which bov to go with im leaning towards the hks ssqv for now. What you guys have

Reaction score
It works best as a recirculative BOV. I had issues with the aftermarket ones and getting the spring tension right. To tight,it was over fueling on closed throttle, to soft and it was leaking boost under WOT.

On one of the AM valve's I did a smoke down test and it was supprising how much it leaked.

The stock valve has worked perfectly since I refitted it and holds 19psi of boost all through the rev range.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
As Fruitbooter says. Stock at the moment, but soon as I buy a front mount won't be running one.

Reaction score
Country
so what's this deal everyone on about it's best you let out the air hence via bov and that it's better life for the turbo? Recirculating the air goes back through the intake I heard? Was thinking letting into atmosphere would be less lagg?

To the guys not running one after fmic am confused with why please exPlain

Reaction score
Country
The resirc does go back into the intake but it keeps the air within the system minimising lag. If you have it as an atmospheric you loose the boost therefore increase lag. If you do away with one all together you get turbo chatter which slows the turbo down shortning it's life :(

Reaction score
And as you are running a MAF sensor the recirculated air is measured. If you vent it to the atmosphere you will cause over fuelling which will eventually kill your plugs, CAT and your O2 sensor.

Also in Oz, it's illegal to vent a BOV to the atmosphere

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yes, some of them. It depends if you can get a hose to fit the trumpet. I think the posh ones normally have 2 trumpets though, one for VTA and one for recirc

Reaction score
Country
it depends on what your car is tuned for, if you are still running the stock ECU then its better to recirc as you will over fuel once the throttle is closed, or you could be like me and just not care as you like the stagged release noise, on a daily driver it might get annoying though, but if your car has been tuned on a aftermarket ECU with a atmospheric BOV, then just leave it,

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Cheers spoony! Mine has been mapped with the BOVTA so I will leave it. Please as you say the staggered release is entertaining! :)

Reaction score
Country
Cheers spoony! Mine has been mapped with the BOVTA so I will leave it. Please as you say the staggered release is entertaining! :)
mine has a adjustable spring tension, so you can slow the return right down, but its probably causing boost leaks.... :)
so i have kept my stock one in case that happens

Reaction score
Country
I'm curious on whether you can tune for the atmospheric venting?

I'm currently running the standard recirculating valve on my S15 but I've been missing the twin Apexi BOV's from my old 300zx. I'm now looking into a GFB Deceptor Pro or Stealth FX BOV (both fully adjustable). I'm not keen on damaging my car or losing drivability though (stalling, worse fuel economy, burnt plugs and cat etc). Can my NisTune tune be adjusted for the change in AFR when I set it to atmo venting?

Reaction score
Country
the tune will be fine if you tune it with one or without a recirc, if you use something like a MAF (air flow meter) before the turbo then venting to atmo wont work but as long as you ECU can use a MAP sensor, and you stick it somewhere like the intake plenum and you will be fine, most good ECU use map sensors as they are just better

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I'm using a Blitz DV at the moment to atmos. Always used to use it with the standard management with no problems, absolutely no problem now as I use a MAP based ecu. TBH when I can justify it I'll change to a Tial :nod: