What's new

What is my stereo setup?

Reaction score
I'm going to be really vague here so apologies but at the mo I have a single DIN kenwood unit that has been fit over in the UK from what I know.

When I bought the car I was given the "original" which was a kenwood double DIN unit with a mini disc slot but I have a couple of questions...

The single DIN unit I currently have has no pre outs so I was considering swapping over to this "standard" MD headunit because it has a preout on there. Now the MD unit has a button on it that says CD but no visible CD slot. Is the front motorised to reveal a CD slot or was it for maybe a 6CD changer or something? If it has a CD slot hidden behind there... bonus! But I dont wanna f*ck about with the wiring for no reason.

Secondly... is it all written in japanese or will it be easy to use and english?

I went on the old silvia site:

http://209.85.229.132/translate_c?h...le.com&usg=ALkJrhhDg9VSjbNKgPoEzvOLvdC_AFueQA

But it doesn't list the double DIN unit I have on there anywhere, WTF? :confused:

I also have some random speaker pods on the back shelf that're kenwood with a couple of speakers in each and they're a sort of blue colour. They're mounted on the rear parcel shelf, are these standard or aftermarket? again I cant see an option for them :wack:

I haven't seen it for a while its stashed away in my bedroom but I think it KINDA looks like this...

Sorry for the vague info but im intrigued. If it plays CD's with a motorised front or something to reveal a CD slot and is english or easily understandable I may put it back in :D lol

Reaction score
please note... that's not my actual stereo as that plain as day has a CD slot haha

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It's one of the standard factory fit units. I've got the same one sat in a box in the loft. They're a bag of s h i t e by today's standards.

Reaction score
****e, but for the time being will do the job while I bring my plans together :)

Are they written in english and do they have a CD player hidden behind there at all? thanks

Reaction score

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If that's not it, the entire front face usually flips down and the slot is behind :)

:eek: If that's what someone is hoping to get for one of those, maybe I should try to sell mine on Ebay. You usually can't give them away...

Reaction score
Well I double checked the model number last night and then cross referenced it with ebay and answered my own question :) LMAO that is the exact stereo so I cant complain. It's going back in the car for now til I get my touch screen double DIN HU

I was just confused because looking through the online S15 site, that stereo was listed nowhere at all as being standard. It showed standard HU's as being single DIN and had picturs of the stanard units so I was a bit hmmmm.....

The rear kenwood speaker pods... are they standard too?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Base speakers are Sanyo which are crappier than crap. I do beliave there was one or two factory options which involved different head-units and speakers.
So your kenwood setup might be one of these options.

Reaction score
awesome, cheers for that :)

Last question then I'll stop bugging you all! Are these head units coded? I was given the headunit when I bought the car but no keycode or anything. Are they just wire up and away you go or do I need a key code?

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tilly, I had the same factory stereo.. Definitely a motorised front to expose the CD and MD player (IRC it was one of the blue buttons on the RHS??) , It isnt coded. All the menu and buttons are in Japanese so good luck with that.. As you say it will do..

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, I also got £65 for mine when it sold on ebay... (wasnt expecting that!!)