What's new

what is the symptoms of circlip failure

Reaction score
a rattleing noise....

nicely will confirm, but....it's the sort of noise where, you'll know if it's gone or not...

C

cookie

comes on all of a sudden?

I'm think mine is gone , car drives fine , just rattles alot

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine came on during an overtaking manoeuvre... Sounding like a bag of spanners afterwards. Except in 5th, which is the 1:1 gear and doesn't engage the counter gear shaft at all.

Mine went very badly though. It kept popping out of 3rd on the couple of times I had to drive it. Reverse was almost impossible to engage.

I don't know 100% that it was the circlip which went, but symptoms pointed towards it. John Bennett on SXOC had the box off me to rebuild in his own time, so he's probably not touched it... :p

What sort of clutch and fly have you got? An aftermarket kit can contribute a lot to gearbox noise. Nismo Super Coppermixes are renowned for their noise. You should hear mine...

It may actually by cheaper to get the box checked over and strengthened if the clip's gone.

C

cookie

in brief...

Had the clutch and fly replaced with a lightweight fly 7.4kg i think and a apracing uprated organic clutch.

Box was very notchy for about a week, but silent.

Did a shift at about 60 in to fifth,something just felt odd.

noticed after that afair bit of rattle on lift off on the rest of the drive

Box is now very rattley and it think it getting worse.

pulling away it too high a gear the box sounds majorly rough.

Going to have to get another box, just not liking the price however

Power wise running stage 2 but without a fmic, still running the s15 ic

C.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If its a lightweight fly, there's a good chance it'll be noisier (by how much I can't say). From what you describe, it SOUNDS are though something might have gone. But if its noisy in 5th too (as in just as much), its not a counter gear problem.

C

cookie

i hope its a bearing but i can't find anyone who wants to look at it garry, was not keen due to getting the parts,phatbob no longer works on gearbox's

I don't know anyone else i trust to not rip me off with it.

I fancy removing the shifter and refitting it, but i'm not sure that i could do it without not messing it up.

Its the thing that the box felt stiff after the clutch change not before,then when this happened the box felt normal but rattled

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Was the gear oil changed? That can make a lot of difference to gear change feel.

I don't understand the problem with parts. All parts can be obtained via Perfectrun and will generally arrive from Japan in about a week. And will cost a third to half the UK price.

C

cookie

don't know either

fluid was changed not sure what gary put in it, its up to the plug on the side of the box.

had silkolene before.

As i don't have an account with them , how much is a new box listed for?

noticed the noise changed slightly when cornering, and that if i push hard on the gearstick, the noise also changes very slightly.

Lastly and i've not noticed this before, i can put the car in to gear with out the engine running without touching the clutch , is that normal?

C.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah. Pretty sure you can do that. Its possible to actually change gear without the clutch when driving, but you have to do it very slowly and its not particularly advisable.

Silkolene in gearboxes is crap.

The notchiness of the 6MT is reduced quite a bit by overfilling the box with to about 2-2.1 litres. This obviously has to be done from the top, and its advisable to extend the breather slightly.

I think the price for a new box from Japan was quoted to you on an SXOC thread. Its not going to get cheaper. My suggestion was to replace any internal parts if there was a problem. You don't need an account with Perfectrun. You just email them with the part number(s) and ask for a price. They'll email you back and then you order via their web site. Once sent, EMS takes about 4 days. Labelling the parcel a certain way reduces the risk of it being stopped in customs ;) It should be a case of parts being with you within two weeks of first emailing PR. Considerably quicker and cheaper than trying to get them from Nissan GB...

I couldn't really say for sure what the problem is. Even if I drove it, I wouldn't be sure, though I could probably tell if it was the clutch/fly.