What's new

Wheels Rubbing In Arches During Hard Cornering

wutang200

Reaction score
I just changed the shocks for KYB adjustable shocks using standard S15 springs and now when cornering hard, the arches rub on my wheels depending on which direction I'm taking the corner at.

My understanding is that the S15 springs are a little too soft for the dampers so these need uprating to ones with a higher spring rate.

I've tried adjusting them already to make them stiffer but same results.

Don't want to go for coilovers before anyone mentions it as I'm not planning on lowering my car or driving on track.

I'm after an easy to handle set up that gives confidence when cornering and stays planted even on high speed bends.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Is it the fronts that are rubbing on the arch liners? I guess you must have removed the bump stops when you changed the shocks.

Sounds like a set of Nismo S-Tunes would suit you best. They are a good standard style damper/spring setup, ideal for road use with a small height drop too.

wutang200

Reaction score
Already tried making them firmer but no luck. Not sure if bump stops were used or not as I didn't fit them myself. I assumed they would have been re-used.

The fronts are definitely rubbing but not sure on the rear. Not too keen on S Tunes I'm afraid, they're still too wallowy for me. The AGX shocks are way better imo.

Surely if the bump stops were missing, then they would rub all the time even when hitting dips in the road at normal speeds. My case is during hard cornering where most of the weight is shifted to one side of the car. My old S14a did this too and I was running firmer Tein springs in that with AGX shocks.

I thought it was rubbing due to the fact that the springs were still stock. Are you guys saying this isn't the case here?

T

Toby

What the best wheel size of an S15? what profiles are best with 17's and 18's?

Reaction score
If you had no bump stops you would notice it on any road irregularities. I would up grade your springs,you have to remember that the stock springs are set up to run with the stock shocks. It's ok to put aftermarket springs with stock shoc's but I have my reservations about stock springs with after market shocks due to the different valving

wutang200

Reaction score
Do you guys know the spring rates of standard Spec R springs?

This way I have something to go by when choosing aftermarket ones.

Then again I might just get coilovers at a later date as AGX's are easy to sell.

wutang200

Reaction score
Damn that's mega weak no wonder the car doesn't feel as firm as my S14.

Will see if I can uprate the springs to ones that don't lower the car much.

wutang200

Reaction score
Yep I had Tein's on my S14 and they were spot on but still sometimes rubbed during very hard cornering. Might try something a little stiffer this time to give a similar effect to coilovers.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
My coilovers rub on hard cornering too and they are very stiff indeed, but my car is quite low though.

You may be better off getting coilys if you basically want what they do? I doubt you can get springs for the standard style of shock that are much stiffer then the Teins. You could even keep the standard height too on coilys if you like riding high, and theres a GB for them on SXOC at the moment too! :p

Reaction score

:wack:

I'd try and find out what it's rubbing on, there's a loom in the drivers side arch and it's alot of grief if you rub the wires bare!

wutang200

Reaction score
I'll try and go for the Teins as I don't really feel the need to buy coilovers for mine as it'll never be going on track. I've had coilovers before & they were a little too stiff.

Will see how the car handles with uprated springs from Tein or Eibach or someone as they're cheap enough 2nd hand.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just sell it all as a set & buy coilovers.

Ryan: It'll be rubbing on the middle of the front arches probably but I'm sure the loom is behind the arches themselves so I'm fine. I only ever drive my car on weekends so not worrying too much about the loom.

wutang200

Reaction score
Just to update this thread, I'm now in possession of a set of uprated springs taken from a Nismo S-Tune suspension (springs are red). The spring rates are 5.3KG front and 4.5KG rear. Will be getting them fitted soon.

Just had something on my mind though in regards to these springs, the springs I have are from a S14/a package which has the above spring rates but there's a separate package for the S15 that has spring rates of 4.5KG front and 5.5KG rear. Just find this strange as to why Nismo decided to go for stiffer springs at the rear compared to the front.

Either way my handling will no doubt be greatly improved hopefully with similar comfort levels.