What's new

Which battery?

S

S15 SILVIA

Hi.

I know this sort of thread has been posted in the past, but just wanted to double check with other members.

My battery has finally died, so I'm looking for a replacement.
It never had much oomph ever since I got the car, and has recently let me down on a couple of occasions.
Mike at torque gt has kindly offered to pay for a new one. Fair play to em!
Anyway, I see from other posts that people have used varta batteries, which I know are good, only they don't seem to have a huge power rating, 330 amp.
Does anyone make any that are approx standard size with a higher ampage?
Do I need higher?
Just with previous cars, they've had like 500+ amp batteries!

Also, as I will be getting a fmic at a later date, which battery would allow clearance for the cold pipe?

Don't know which to order?
Please help.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
i cant remember the dimensions, but its pretty much half the size of a 'normal' battery.

and as for brands, yeah some have more power than others, but at the end of the day, a battery is a battery. unless you've got subs wired up draining all your power i wouldnt have thought there would be an issue.

i've just got a basic halfords battery since mine died and it does me fine :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Mike - I was recently getting the same issue where the battery which came with my car also died... but I did get nearly 3 years out of it lol :)

I replaced for similar 330 CCA small battery but this only lasted a few months. I'm not sure exactly why but I think when I installed the twin electric fans this put a lot of strain on the low CCA type battery that you're talking about. I think on a car with normal fan setup and no extra ICE install like Jase mentions you should still be ok but in the end I went back to CES (local motor factors) and they got me heavy duty Bosch battery which is same size as before but around 420 CCA. This copes much better now and I've had no probs with a few months usage :thumbs:

PS - I can try and get the code for this battery but will have to reel off a lot of numbers as I'm not sure which constitutes the model of the battery haha :wack:

S

S15 SILVIA

Cheers James , the code for the Bosch would be great, sounds like it would have a little more guts behind it, and scope for future mods.
Also, how have you mounted the battery, where is it positioned in the tray? Just I know you've got an apex type 2 cooler, which doesn't need the tray cutting does it?
I know it sounds stupid, but have you got a picture of it's size and fitment?
I understand the terminals need to be in different positions for front mount fitment.
Any help welcome.

Many thanks Mike.

S

S15 SILVIA

Any pics mate. What cold crank amp is the battery for the yaris? Terminals same as standard?

Mike

S

S15 SILVIA

Any pics mate. What cold crank amp is the battery for the yaris? Terminals same as standard?

Mike

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers James , the code for the Bosch would be great, sounds like it would have a little more guts behind it, and scope for future mods.
Also, how have you mounted the battery, where is it positioned in the tray? Just I know you've got an apex type 2 cooler, which doesn't need the tray cutting does it?
I know it sounds stupid, but have you got a picture of it's size and fitment?
I understand the terminals need to be in different positions for front mount fitment.
Any help welcome.

Many thanks Mike.
Mike - I'll try and sort some pics and measurements tomo. Please PM me tomorrow evening if I've not done it by then lol!

Yes I've got Apex Type 2 so the cold pipe does not go via the battery tray but uses the stock route across the front of the engine bay etc. As far as I know the battery is mounted as per stock using the stock bracket. The neg terminal is on the left when looking from front towards firewall. Pos terminal on the right so it all seems to fit as standard. The Bosch just replaces the original directly as I think it still is pretty much the same size and everything :thumbs:

Reaction score
Nissan Micra battery. The Pulsar guys have been using them for god knows how many years because they have to cut through their battery tray to fit a front mount. I also have the same dimension battery on my S14a and S15.

I used one on my old Pulsar and they're pretty small and cause no issues, but i'd imagine they're used on far more vehicles than a Micra. Saying ''Micra'' just makes it easier.

Last edited:
S

S15 SILVIA

Cheers all for the replies.
Any luck with getting that code James, have had a quick look on the tinterweb, with no luck.
Mike

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Just went out and took a pic Mike lol...

Found the PDF file with all the info (check page 10):

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/aa-batterien/nordic/media/brochure_S3-S4-S5.pdf

Looks like this is an S40 series model 190 battery:

0 092 S40 190 S40 19 540 127 033 [FONT=TXECGU+BoschSans-Bold,Bosch Sans][FONT=TXECGU+BoschSans-Bold,Bosch Sans]40 330 [/FONT][/FONT]1 B00 3 187 127 227

The bits I highlighted in orange are the L W H dimensions in mm :)

Edit: Just realised this 'heavier duty' battery is 330 CCA... think my previous one was around 280 IIRC or even slightly less so IMO 330 CCA is enough :thumbs:

Last edited:
S

S15 SILVIA

Cheers James, will check that one out too.
Got a quote of £38 for a varta blue top 054 or 055 locally.
Bargain. Just need to work out which fits best in the tray.
Many thanks.
Mike

S

S15 SILVIA

Battery purchased now.
Many thanks all. Have gone for the standard 055 type varta.
Worry about the front mount fitting when i get one.
Car cranks much better now. No more worries about whether it will start for me when I go off.
Was a bargain at £39 too. Many thanks for Mike @Torque for offering to pay. Top man and company. Much respect!

S

S15 SILVIA

Ha ha. Yeh I saw that Nicely,
Wanted to check with members if there was a higher spec battery available now, just the useful threads are quite old these day, improved things are released all the time.
Did try a 054 battery in the tray, but couldn't be bothered making up a strap to hold it in it's new position, and didn't like the way it was pulling on the power cable. Would need to modify the cable for a perfect fit.
Mike