Whirring/whining noise from gearbox area

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same funny noise I'm now getting which has only started since my drift day yesterday at Pod :rolleyes:

Basically with the car idling and gear in neutral there's a quietish whirring noise which definitely was never there. Then when I go into 1st/2nd/3rd gears and drive at low speeds you can distinctly hear a kind of whirring/whining sound.

Best way to describe is that it sound like travelling in reverse gear but it's not 'as loud' and the pitch is higher... sounds like a fookin Mario Kart haha?! :wack:

A mate has suggested (without hearing it in person) that it could be clutch release bearing or input shaft?? Suppose with the drift day yesterday this area of the car got a bashing but I've only a few months back changed the clutch for an Exedy single plate slight upgrade version - however I do seem to remember they didn't change the clutch release bearing IIRC.

Cheers,

James

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if its making a noise like reverse, it could possibly be the synchro's, reverse doesnt normally have one which makes it sound the way it does....whiny, whirry noise on tickover with the clutch up is normally input shaft/layshaft bearing if it dissapears when you press the clutch, if its the other way round then its clutch release bearing.:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah cheers mate - a few people have told me they reckon it's the input shaft bearing cos as you say, only get noise when clutch is 'up' and not pressed.

Do you know if this means a new gearbox is required at some point??

I'm looking into the late S14 box as I'm not bothered about 6th gear - only useful so I can talk to someone on a motorway journey?!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
mine has had a bit of input shaft noise for about a year now... hasnt affected the way the car drives. wait till it goes then fit the 5spd. thats what i'll likely do, as you say, 6th is useless round town and only any good for economy/cruising on the motorway:nod:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Dean :thumbs:

So will the noise just get louder and louder lol?? And when it goes or when it gets bad, does it become harder to change gear or summat? Never experienced a busted input shaft bearing!!

I know this has been asked many times but just to clarify - in terms of replacement 5 speed box would I be best looking for an S14 that's being broken and then getting:

Clutch
Flywheel
5 Speed Box
Propshaft
Differential

Do I need all of those above - seem to get conflicting info about whether S14 propshaft works with S15 diff?? But in any case, I may want to just get an aftermarket diff to help with the drifty drifty :nod:

Nice1,

J

Reaction score
Think you'll need the 5 speed gearbox mounting bracket.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you just need the front half of the S14 prop and bolt that to the rear part of the S15 prop. I can't remember how easy that is to do though (or even if its feasible!)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you can use the s15 diff buddy, dont swap it for a 14 one:no:

as far as i know the input shaft will just get noisier and noisier, then eventually the box will fail......

D

D BOY

you only need the box, clutch and flywheel

the s14 box will bolt straight in but you will need to put a short shifter on if you want to keep the s15 surrounds around the gear stick

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
the prop wont fit with a 5 spd as the 6 spd is longer.....

Reaction score
Yea I think the 6 speed prop is shorter because the box is longer?

I think I read that the difference is in the front half, so usin a 14 prop front half would solve it... if the prop seperates into 2 (can't remember).

Is the diff casing different on the 15s?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
afaik the pumpkin is the same, the subframe and everything else is the same and i think s14/a owners use it as a straight swap upgrade:)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Would it not be worth geting the box overhauled before the bearing fully goes? Would save converting to 5 speed and all the other bits and peices that you'll also need to buy. A S15's 5th gear is pretty much the same as a 14's 4th, so its more for the shorter ratios than just an extra final gear.. isnt it?

:)

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
er, so much misinformation here :wack:

noise is the bearings.

reverse makes the noise because the gears are straight(er) cut, not because it's syncroless.

new gearbox needed? if you keep abusing it then yes, but just because of the noise? no.

front s14 prop(tail)shaft, bolt onto rear s15 tailshaft.

keep your s15 diff.

off the top of head you'll also need flywheel bolts bellhousing bolts xmember.

remember that nissan didn't tack on a 6th gear on the 5speed gearbox just for highway use, the 6speed is a close ratio box so when you goto 5speed the car will feel very lethargic.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
mate, everything on your list has been mentioned apart from the straight cut reverse gear and bellhousing bolts, there isn't really any misinformation at all. you do sound like a really knowledgable bloke and i for one really appreciate your input on the forum as i'm sure do many others but a lot of the time you sound like your putting people to rights instead of saying stuff helping out. i dont want to get into an argument, i'm just saying thats the vibe i've been getting:nod:

i also think i remember something about the starter motor retaining bolts differ between the 6spd and 5spd box.:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Really appreciate the feedback guys!! :)

Ok - Craig I know you've mentioned about overhauling the 6 speed but I always get the impression from people who go through gearbox troubles that the amount you pay for someone to look at and fix a gearbox might be the same if not even more than the cost to pick up a used S14 box.

Yes I know I have all the other bits to buy but at least once they are bought and fitted, if the box every went again it'll only be another S14 box to source and nothing else to pay for (apart from labour)... well that's my thinking behind going for a 6 to 5 speed conversion!!

I will be drifting a lot more next year, plus track days and with eventual power upgrade expectations to go beyond 350 bhp, I expect the gearbox to not last as long :rolleyes:

I'm deffo keeping the S15 diff so looks like I'll be doing the S15/14 propshaft upgrade - does anyone feel the same as Wing about the gear ratios? Will it the difference be very noticeable in pick up esp for fast road/drifting/track usage??

Or shall I just jack this idea and get a replacement 6 speed box - if you can actually get one??!! :wack:

Cheers :thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
give b16 nyk a tap mate, he runs an s14 5 speed in his weekend/drift car so can tell you first hand:thumbs:

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
i don't mean to sound like a rude kent, the info was alot of "i think" and "i read" and 'i hear"... so i got to the point and clarified it, hope that's ok?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ok - Craig I know you've mentioned about overhauling the 6 speed but I always get the impression from people who go through gearbox troubles that the amount you pay for someone to look at and fix a gearbox might be the same if not even more than the cost to pick up a used S14 box.

Yes I know I have all the other bits to buy but at least once they are bought and fitted, if the box every went again it'll only be another S14 box to source and nothing else to pay for (apart from labour)... well that's my thinking behind going for a 6 to 5 speed conversion!!
I see your point now. S14 boxes are so cheap their almost consumable! The ratios will be a fair bit more spread out with only 5 gears. Our 5th is 1:1, like a S14's 4th, so the extra gear is just to shorten the ratios as mentioned above.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok scratch the S14 conversion - I need a stronger box lol!!!

Think anyone interested in drifting, giving more than general abuse to the box or high power 350+ bhp applications should deffo consider this:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/par...5-gearbox-conversion-groupe-buy-take-two.html

Was chatting to a good drifting mate of mine at a party tonight (usually talk nonsense but tonight I had loads of Q's about gearboxes haha!!) and first thing he said was S14 conversion ok - done many times but what about an actual stronger box like the one from the RB25?? I was like TELL ME MORE!!! (Tilly who's also on this forum mentioned this a while back but I forgot about it) :rolleyes:

Basically it seems (as mentioned by Nicely and others I've read on here) the S14 box is no stronger than the S15 chocolate 6 speed... so with this in mind, I don't have the patience to see through future amounts of endless gearbox swaps, especially when I get the power up to 350 bhp or beyond and will be attending DWYB much more regularly.

My Exedy organic single plate is now slipping in 5th/6th and I've had it on the car for only 4-5 months??!! :wack: :wack: This is more than enough to cope with!!!

Sooo - I've read the above and first thing is for me to buy the RB25 adaptor plate which Polo is selling. Then get the R33 GTS-t box which can be picked up for between £200-400. Propshaft, gearbox mount cross-member, clutch slave cylinder and a few more items from the same car can be purchased for around another £100.

I can find out someone to send the propshaft to be shortened to correct length for around £70 by the looks of it... and with a few other mods required it should all fit ok. It's been mentioned that these plates have made their way to two S15 owners and they've done the conversion without problems :thumbs:

So that's my Christmas spent looking at Jap breakers and scanning Skyline forums lol :wave:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i don't mean to sound like a rude kent, the info was alot of "i think" and "i read" and 'i hear"... so i got to the point and clarified it, hope that's ok?
you have to take what i said with a pinch of salt mate;), i always put i think or i'm pretty sure because nobody wants to throw people bum steers and in honesty i'm never sure about anything lol. just picked a set of wheels after a year of looking at offsets and designs:wack: