What's new

Will it break?

B

b17duf

Afternoon guys,

Thinking about fitting a GT2871 to my new S15, had this tubby on my S14a and loved it, spools up very quick. The only thing which concerns me is "will my clutch / gearbox be able to handle 350/360 bhp". I had no problems with running that power on the 5 speed S14a box with the RPS Max street clutch but there does seem to be a weak link in the S15 box. Also whats the best clutch / flywheel combo to go for to handle that amount of power.

Sorry if this has been covered many times but couldn't seem to find a definate answer.

Thanks

B17DUF

Reaction score
Country
From what ive read on here the weakness in the 6-speed is only the circlip issue which when rectified provides a more robust box than the 5-speed ?

With the circlip issue sorted you shouldnt have any worries with that power.

Im sure someone will come along soon and confirm or rebuke this ? :nod:

T

tass15

let me know how your box takes it, i got my gt3071 comin next week, gotta get cams then see what breaks lol.

Reaction score
Country
If you intend to kill your box faster, twin/triple plate. Otherwise stick with single plate clutch.

And with that sort of power, if you track your car, it WILL break.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
But then, chances are, so will a 5MT. Contrary to popular belief, 5MTs break just as often as 6MTs when run with bigger power, i.e. 350+

B

b17duf

Thanks for the input guys. I'm new to the S15's so do appreciate advice and comments from people who've had these cars for a while.

B17DUF

Reaction score
Country
True to what Nicely says. Just that they are cheap to replace so no one makes a fuss about it.

You can get a Z32 gearbox fitted to your sr20. They make adapters these days so it's plug and play and they handle lots more power. Or you can swap the rb25 gearbox internal to sr20 gearbox housing.

Reaction score
Country
Try the US. I've seen some US company making the adapters but I cant recall what name. There are some custom one off I've seen people selling for $$ in oz.

Reaction score
True to what Nicely says. Just that they are cheap to replace so no one makes a fuss about it.

You can get a Z32 gearbox fitted to your sr20. They make adapters these days so it's plug and play and they handle lots more power. Or you can swap the rb25 gearbox internal to sr20 gearbox housing.

sorry to drag up an old thread. but was looking for a thread on replacing the circlip (can you point me please :)) and wondered if the RB25 internal swap is straight forward?