What's new

Wont start :( 1999 spec R

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Just got back to my car after leaving it for a week she refuses to start :( Was running a sweet as a nut on the last drive hence why im a little miffed as to why now, she wont fire.

Turns over fine and the plugs are getting wet so fuel doesnt seem to be the issue. However, unless im doin summat completely wrong, there doesnt seem to be any spark (coil pack out and resting plug on inlet, turning over etc etc).

Diagnostics comes back clear, all earths and connectors seem to be OK. Have disconnected the battery, left it for 15 mins and reconnected but still no joy :( Doubt its the immobiliser as it doesnt even turn over with that on.

So, Spark.. or possible lack off in this case. Any ideas? All wiring to the coil packs seems to be ok, earths cleans and ok and nothing has changed since I last drove it!!!

Confused.com

Thanks in advance

J.

W

williamw1987

I had a very similar issue with my Celica GT4 at one point. Was in traffic and the engine cut out. Attempted to start but it just kept turning over and not sparking. It turned out to be my turbo timer interfering with the immobiliser and was preventing it from sparking. Bypassed the turbo timer and car fired up immediately. Worth having a gander at the immobiliser I would say dude!

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
have you checked the ignition fuse? 4th up from the front 15amp
Thanks for the advice so far :)

Unfortunately it still aint firing :( Have swapped the fuel pump today and even though I can hear it priming normally the car wont start. Checked the ignition fuses and all look good and tested good. ECU still showing clear from fault codes.

So... At the mo im thinking.

a) immobiliser issue
b) ECU issue
c) Wiring loom issue
d) something else

Its just so frustrating cause the car has run faultless for the 5 years and to litterally go from one day working fine to the next with a no start is... well, frustrating lol

Thanks for the advice so far peeps.

J.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I share your pain dude! Although I've been working on my track project so it's not been running for months :wack:

However, all my symptoms are pretty much the same as yours. Have a read of my thread which I posted on SXOC today:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?524051-S14a-Not-Starting-%28

Don't think yours will be down to flooded engine but it's worth a go I guess??

Be interested to see what happens with yours if you do get it started before mine!!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would be looking at the immobiliser first.

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Okies... Update..

Have had a electrical guru go to look at the car today and after much head scratching and testing of stuff, the car still didnt start. He is comming back once again and armed with ECU Pinout info and wiring diagrams so will hopefully manage to get to the bottom of the non start...

Even so, a couple of things were checked today and cofirmed... immobiliser is fine and de-activating and re-enabling both ignition and starter circuits so that one is now officially ruled out. He did also confirm that the coils pack are gettin no signal when the engine is cranked over, hence no spark.. We knew that anyway but atleast he has confirmed its the case...

SO.. Next test will be the ignition pins from the ECU, the ECS relay, wiring to and from the ignition fuses and wiring to, from and including the ignition condenser. at some point there is obviously a break down in signal so fingers crossed for the next installment!!!!

May be needing a new ECU so if anyone has a spare one I could either borrow or buy I would certainly be grateful should it come to that...

Further sugestions and ideas still welcomed

Cheers

J.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Glad you got her started again dude! :)

My mate who is a brilliant mechanic has also managed to get mine going lol... turns out the damn fuel pipes which run into the plenum (one of them has the fuel filter attached) were the wrong way round?! This meant the fuel circuit which includes the damper aka pressure regulator was incorrect and causing a lack of decent fuel flow to the cylinders :wack:

Can't believe it... previous owner must have got this wrong when putting the car back to standard before he sold it to me... douche!!!

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Just to bounce an old thread and tidy things up, Final Update :D

Finally got round to getting to the problem of the non start after running around for a few weeks with an improvised wiring loom powering the ECM Relay.

So, While changing the brake pads on saturday I decided to whip the inner arch liner off and have a look at the loom... Bet you cant guess what had happend!!! Correct, one broken wire due to contact with the tire!!! The black and white wire that runs from the relay, through a couple of junction boxes and on to the engine bay fuse box and battery was sitting at the bottom of the loom bundle and decided it didnt like getting up close and personal to my Toyo's!!!

Anyways, quick fix after all that, loom mended properly and all shifted up as high as it will go in the arch. Car starts and runs perfectly using the relays nissan intended it to :D:D:D

One final massive thanks to everyone that offered help and advice and to Craig once again for getting me mobile again :thumbs:

laters

J.

Reaction score
Country
james who is the guy that sorted your car as mine as just started with a random nonstarting hissy fit.can you pm his name and number to me please. I need help
ill use him if hes close to me thanks:notworthy:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Justin - glad you got everything sorted :thumbs: These problems (like the one I had) are rarely complicated... it's just the pain of going through everything and eliminating what it could be bit by bit!! :wack:

Teejay - dropping you PM now buddy :)