What's new

wots the best oil to use???

Reaction score
had a look in the helpfull threads but couldnt see anything
i want to change my oil before my trip to rotorstock tomoz, was just wondering what people recommend???
(its gonna be a halfords shop so non of this nissan performance super duper oil direct from japan!!!!)
cheers

G

gunner93

I've just DIY-ed my oil change today using 10W40 ACE. I was on Synthetic 5W40 before this. I had a real PITA time getting out my oil filter! Maybe a little lower viscosity will be good in your colder country with winter coming and all...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The first fully synth 5/10W50/60 I lay my hands on, preferably under ?30 for 5 litres... Currently got Shell Helix onboard, but have run on Halfrauds Motorsport, Comma fully synth, etc. Tests have proven that one fully synth is pretty much the same as the next over 6k miles/10k km in an SR20DET and in normal driving conditions.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have Fully Synthetic 5w40, not any fancy named product. Swapped from Semi 10w40, big improvement in responce and pick-up with just changing the oil.

S

sillbeers15

I know that most oil manufacturers claim their synthetic oil are good for 10000km before oil change is required, but....

In my opinion, the trouble to select the 'ideal' motor oil for our cars does not matter as much as to oil change every 5000km or less.

Btw, I use the HKS 5W-40 fully synthetic lub and change my oil regularly every 4 months regardless of mileage clocked as I clock less than 1000km in a year.

S

SX2002

If you want to look after your turbo you must change it every 5000Ks (3000 miles)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The 3k mile/5k Km oil change is completely unnecessary these days with current oil standards.

The SXOC have been running professional oil analyses for over two years on SR20DETs and CA18DETs. They take an unused sample of the oil used for the change and a sample when its removed at the next change. The analysis is performed at Ford's development labs in the UK. Results on various brands of oil have shown, without exception (unless there is an obvious engine problem), that the oil is still good at 6k miles/10k Km. In fact, projections indicated it would still be good till at least 9k miles/15k Km. Someone actually tested this and found it to be true (in his engine). The analyses have also warned people of impending engine problems.

So 3k mile/5k Km fully synth oil changes are a complete and utter waste of money. Obviously, if you do very few miles/Kms, you should still change oil every 6 months. Also, you should change oil after every track session. Ideally before and after.

S

sillbeers15

Nicely,

It is good to know that some of us are indeed rational once a while!

Coming from the perspective of being rational, I can fully agree with you.

But in the first place, we should all be all be driving hybrid 1.3 civics if we are to think like accountants....and not S15s.

It is just an unbarable though for me to rebuild my SR20DET. so what is the cost of wasting usable lub comparing to a rebuilt cost?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you saw the oil analysis results (which you can't without being a paid-up SXOC member, I'm afraid), you might feel different. The oil is hardly worn after 6k miles, let alone 3k. And we are talking some hard drivers. The only time it was bad was when there were engine problems - in which case fresh oil wouldn't have altered anything. Do you think Nissan would advise 6k oil changes if they thought they could make money out of 3k changes? The results have convinced a lot of staunch 3k mile oil changers that it really is a waste of money. Ten years ago, it might have been different. But oil standards have advanced significantly in that time and there is virtually no degradation of fully synth over 6k miles of normal/fast road driving.

Obviously, track use is different.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Because you're about to hammer the engine far more than its used to, so you want nice clean oil. Afterwards, the oil will have been subject to quite high temps. Once the oil reaches around 130C it will start permanently thinning.

This is more for a track day, rather than just a session.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, mainly wanted to know whether to go for a 5w40 or 10w40 but you guys have answered my questions! cheers. and for the record, this is my first oil change in the S15, the last time it was done was about 8k ago, even now the oil is perfectly healthy, im not one for changing it every 5 minutes, no.1 why!?! whats the point! no.2 oil aint cheap!
I think some peeps get a bit to over the top with little things like this, its excellent that people want to look after there car and maintain it but, there is a limit! well, thats my opinion anyway!
cheers though

:wave:

S

SX2002

I'll stick to 5000ks thank you, it's what ALL the experts I have read about recommend, including Nissan. And it's not to sell their oil, I can buy what ever I want.
The thought of having to replace my turbo (if the worst happened) to save a few dollars a year is not on. It might never happen, but as I said a few bucks a year is cheap insurance.
Maybe this is why I'm reading so many posts here where guys are having troubles with their S15s...rattles, noises and other things.
I don't know what you pay for oil over there, but the Nissan oil I use (for 15 years now) is about $27/5 litres. With one, maybe two oil changes a year...hardly expensive.
Ask any turbocharger expert or mod shop that fits them...all I have spoken to or read about absolutley recommend that oil changes should be far more frequent than 10000 or more ks.
Just take a look in the oil pan when you next do a change and see how black and dirty it looks....and thats what mine looks like after only 5000ks!

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. Whatever. Its your money :) Have all the expects actually tested the oil, or just gone off what all the other experts say...?

However, oil is more critical to the running of the sleeve bearing T28s, as they cushion the bearings and are more susceptible to contaminants. The ball bearing T28BBs need much less oil flow and pressure and are much harder wearing.

Nissan state 6k mile/10k Km oil change intervals in their workshop manual. :)