What's new

Here's one for the 3k mile oil changers...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Shamelessly lifted from a sister forum...

So who still thinks you need to change your oil every 3k :confused:

Have a look at this

This is the latest oil analysis data back for my car. Now you may see its hightlighted the iron content as being quite high (Fe) as well as the silicon being a little high (Si) Now in 3000 this would be the case and slight cause for some concern but take a look at the number in the bottom right corner ;) Thats right 13000 miles :eek: No fooking way i hear you all say :D Yes as an experiment I put my faith in using a quality oil and the theory it is capable for 60000Km (although thats normal passenger cars and not modified turbo'd applications) Seeing as we had some results back from members who had done 6-7k with no problem i thought i would push it a bit more :wack:

Fuel dilution was 2.8% which for the mileage isnt terrible (I had 4.8% last time for just 3000miles) and is probably just down to the APT map (i know Gary likes to tune on the conservative side)

The amazing thing is the oil is still fine, OC (Oil Condition) is low (same as when it was put in) and the TBN has only dropped from 8.3 to 7.3 (normally at the end of its life around 5.0)

Hopefully this will open a few peoples eyes and dispell the internet/tuning bollox of changing your oil every 3k as in this simple exercise i have saved myself the hassle of 3 extra oil changes and around ?100 :thumbs:

S

Speedy

I have to say im not suprised at all seeing that. Oils are made to last more so now under heavier more demanding loads. I know Mazda are using a new anti freeze that doesnt require changing until 120000 miles as apposed to 45000 miles. Also a new DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) system is in use on the new Mazda 6 that basically says change oil when the level gets high or to the X mark, due to Diesel drain off back into the sump. Lots of new idea's are starting to come into play only bad thing is that you NEED to take the vehicle to the correct manufacturer as they have all the special tools and diagnostic equipment.

P

paulphot

So what oil did you use? Did it look or smell burnt when you drained it?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It wasn't me, but I do know the guy and it was Ford's own 5W40 fully synth :wack: (he works for Ford). This is one of Castrol's oils. However, the ongoing oil analysis that the club subsidises has shown little variation between other fully synth oils...

P

paulphot

So in theory something like Motul 300v would act the same if not better. I'm sure Ford don't use the highest quality synthetic oil in their cars, they like their money too much.

J

Jono

Good to see this, especially as I'm just about to fill mine with Silkolene Pro-S! :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't be too sure. It may not be up there with the really expensive stuff, but it'll still be reasonably good. The guy works in their powertrain development, so I can't see him using crap... :)

Reaction score
I think there are more factors involved that just the KMs travelled. Like terrain, how often and how it's driven. For example, if the car is left there for 3 months and have not been driven, shouldn't the oil change be sooner?