What's new

s15 market value

bzh kevin

Reaction score
Country
Back in 2015 I was looking for a car that could do a bit of everything from daily commute to the odd track/drift day while still being reliable and cheap-ish to run .
I ended up getting a clean stock S15 spec-R aero as it ticked all the boxes and I also wanted another Silvia since I got rid of my s13 a few years before .
At the time I paid nearly £11k for it which was on the mid to high end of the market . Over the last 5 years I drove over 55k miles not thinking much of it (the car is now 135k miles) .
Last week I took the car to the garage to get it MOT'ed and get a couple of things looked after. When I picked up the mechanic half jokingly told me I should stop using it daily as parts are getting harder to find and the value of these cars is shooting up .

I decided to have a look around to see what S15's are selling for nowadays . There doesn't seem to be that many around for sale anymore .
The cheapest spec-R for sale on this forum is £13k and there are a couple over pistonhead and ebay for up to £17-18k . spec-S's seem to be advertised at £10+k .

It is clear that the prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years .
It left me thinking that I should probably contact my insurance and get some sort of agreed value for my car .

My question is what a completely stock (bear the head-unit) 135k miles S15 spec-R with aero kit worth?

Picture taken during a road trip to France (not so white after a few hundred miles of country side roads!)
silvia.jpg

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Spec-S do come up every so often around, I've seen a few around 8k

Spec-R's are very rare to come for sale these days, and reason being I believe is that I keep missing them as people tend to buy them up straight away to send them to the US.

I would imagine in a year from now, Spec-R's could be worth anything from 30k upwards due to the US market and getting closer to reaching the 25 year age to be imported. Plus there are a lot less in Europe as they are getting exported in anticipation for the legal registration in the states. (Thanks instagram for making everything soo expensive haha)

So... having said that... I don't have enough knowledge of the market at the moment as it's too strange, so I couldn't say what your car is worth unfortunately.

Having said that @Lil SpecR attempted to sell her car this year for, what I thought was strong money (close to pistonheads money), to be then faced with a lot of backlash from the facebook community advising her that she under-priced it by anywhere between 5-10k. Her mileage is considerably less than yours however and is an Aero.

So, that makes me very confused and I think it's an un-tapped and unpredictable market.

R34 GTR's were 22k in 2015, they are now 80k for a junk one, again US influenced.

So, if you are planning to sell, as long as you advertise it in the right places it will most likely sell even if you ask for quite a lot more than you would have thought is a fair price in the UK.

Last edited:

bzh kevin

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the info @Joeh .

Definitely not looking to sell . More making sure my insurance would pay enough to get another one if the car ended up being written off . I still daily it so better be safe than sorry .

I was expecting the US to drive prices up as they did for Skylines but I wasn't expecting it to happen this early .

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'm not sure what has happened with the prices of pretty much all Jap/Classics this year. I'd have thought that due to covid19, car prices would crash, but quite the opposite has happened. This time last year, with 40-50k, you had a fighting chance of getting an R34 GTR non v-spec, but now that's not possible anymore even remotely.

S15 spec S were around 6-7k and spec R were generally around 10-12k (assuming average condition, not necessarily show-stoppers). They've both come on quite a bit over the last 12 months and now all of a sudden there are talks of the S15 rocketing off into the sunset over the next 12-18 months. The increase is so much so, that it's meant the S14...a car which if you're my age, is a £1500 car that you whore around with a welded diff back in 2007) is now around the 10k mark because it's a very good alternative to the S15 (not to mention, the 14A has such a lovely looking front end).

willy s15

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'm not sure what has happened with the prices of pretty much all Jap/Classics this year. I'd have thought that due to covid19, car prices would crash, but quite the opposite has happened. This time last year, with 40-50k, you had a fighting chance of getting an R34 GTR non v-spec, but now that's not possible anymore even remotely.

S15 spec S were around 6-7k and spec R were generally around 10-12k (assuming average condition, not necessarily show-stoppers). They've both come on quite a bit over the last 12 months and now all of a sudden there are talks of the S15 rocketing off into the sunset over the next 12-18 months. The increase is so much so, that it's meant the S14...a car which if you're my age, is a £1500 car that you whore around with a welded diff back in 2007) is now around the 10k mark because it's a very good alternative to the S15 (not to mention, the 14A has such a lovely looking front end).
thats for sure mate
price is going up for good

bzh kevin

Reaction score
Country
@Celicasaur Tell me about it! The first car I bought in the UK was an s14 zenki, I paid £1000 for it in 2008 then a year later I got rid of it and bought an s13 for £1600 . It is just crazy how much they are going for now .
Not complaining too much about it though . It has probably paid for itself and its maintenance for the past 5 years (bear fuel cost)!!! 😁 Hopefully parts won't get stupidly expensive right away .

I asked what sort of agreed value people managed to get with their insurers on the Facebook UK S15 owners group . Some manage to get £17k+ agreed value for their Spec R .

Reaction score
I've bought and sold a couple S15 Spec Rs this year from Japan. Prices are definitely increasing and it seems to me the UK prices haven't quite caught up yet to what's going in Japan and Australia.

We are seeing clean Spec R Aero sell at auctions for $33-35k AUD or mode

I sold a Spec R with 90,000km no crash history very clean interior and healthy motor no modifications.. But had the dreaded engine bay rust new strut tower which is common in the cars in Japan for $20k AUD. To fix it would've been around $2500 AUD. I saw one for sale for 13000 ($23k AUD) pounds in the UK I assume no rust much nicer than what I sold. You could sell that UK one here for $30k instantly.