What's new

6sp gear box whine

T

takechan

Hello, I have a 6sp in an s14 that has gear box whine. symptoms: whine goes away when clutch is pushed in(disengaged) and goes away in 5th (b/c of 1:1 ratio?) tranny oil was a little low but no shavings etc. I believe its the input shaft bearing on the mainshaft. I live in the U.S and there is no info on the 6sp. Where would one order a rebuild kit and how much? Also, someone said my driveshaft was the wrong one but I was told from previous owner that it was custom made but I just learned that the splines are different from s14 to s15 but the car seems to drive normally. Its my belief that if the splines are different the car would not operate correctly.

Thanks for any input

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Mine whines to a degree as well, so i compared the sound of mine to Lloydys, and his is the same.. so you might just be imagining a problem that isnt actually there, if you understand what i mean. Mines had a faint whine for 2 years (since i bought it) and i've not had a problem

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
In my experience, most if not all the s15's I've heard have got a noisy input shaft bearing, mine had it but it wasn't too bad, but it gives you that feeling of impending doom lol. it's not terminal as mine continued to function perfectly, but I did in the end decide to switch to s14 5 speed as I wouldn't have to think about an eventual failure due to how cheap they are and easy to get hold of.... I have seen rebuild services on Australian websites but its firstly abroad and secondly prohibitively expensive... Anyone would think that theres black magic going on inside an s15 box considering how there are so little places that know anything about them here in the uk...

Reaction score
My last gearbox destroyed itself and that didn't wine at all. The newer box I fitted earlier in the year whines but is a lot smoother into every gear than the last one was, so I can only assume it's not a sign of imminent failure as my car produces around the 400bhp mark.