What's new

Buy s15 non turb then turb???

W

Want to get s15

Hey :wave:

Well i have my mind set on buying an s15, but the turbo model (spec R) seems to be quite alot more expensive than the non turbo model (spec S), around 5 grand more from what i can find. Are there any real difference's between the two as with the 5 grand i would be saving, i could put towards a bigger turb maby even a bit more power than the Spec R. Also are the sr20de internals the same as the sr20det with an exception of the different ratio.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Not worth it unless you're seriously planning to upgrade everything all at the same time or very close to the same time: turbo brakes motor gearbox diff etc etc. Spend the extra $5000 :)

Reaction score
What Wing said plus you get a six speed box instead of five. Also remember compression ratio is different.It will cost you more then 5 grand to turbo a SR20DE.

W

Want to get s15

hey thanks guys! looks like ill keep saving and get the spec r then :D

D

dragyth

I'm doing this!

I'm sorting importing a Type-S, totally stock with Aero kit, £2930 and I've got a forged SR20DET in my S13.

I was planning on ripping the engine out, sticking a big turbo and a proper manifold on my SR20DET and slotting it in there.

Your thoughts?
Would the looms come together ok?

Reaction score
What Wing said plus you get a six speed box instead of five. Also remember compression ratio is different.It will cost you more then 5 grand to turbo a SR20DE.
but dude the 6 speed gearbox is pants and it doesn't cost more than5 grand to turbo the car.

s14a car £1500
if your not doing it yourself say £1000 for labour and wiring

Done

D

dragyth

The 6 speed gearbox is infamous for not being able to handle power outputs above 320bhp without giving up the ghost.

You can get an SR20DET and engine loom for £800.
If you're not doing it yourself it could cost upto £3,000. Custom fabricated exhaust sytem, will it bolt onto gearbox? will looms match up? etc.. etc.. But if you have a few mates and rent a crane, should set you back £1200 including the engine.

Must be noted, though, that Auss15 was taking into consideration turbocharging the SR20DE engine rather than swapping it out for an SR20DET, which clearly is the better option.

Remember, though, on a type-s the seats are different, suspension is different, wheels are smaller, you only get 2pot brakes, not the 4pot ones (same as on skyline GTR R32, the type-r is praised in reviews for them), you don't get the bracing and antiroll bars underneath the car. All reasons why I'd rather have a type-R but I can't afford it.

Going for a type-s and I'm going to love it.
I promise!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 6 speed gearbox is infamous for not being able to handle power outputs above 320bhp without giving up the ghost.

You can get an SR20DET and engine loom for £800.
If you're not doing it yourself it could cost upto £3,000. Custom fabricated exhaust sytem, will it bolt onto gearbox? will looms match up? etc.. etc.. But if you have a few mates and rent a crane, should set you back £1200.

Remember, though, seats are different, suspension is different, wheels are smaller, you only get 2pot brakes, not the 4pot ones (same as on skyline GTR R34), you don't get the bracing underneath the car. All reasons why I'd rather have a type-R but I can't afford it.

Going for a type-s and I'm going to love it.
I promise!
I know dude i have converted my spec s to better than a spec r and the fact is the car now owes me a lot more than what it would have cost to buy a spec r

going back to the statement you said earlier though you just said turbo'ing a spec s would cost more than 5k when i think u meant converting the car to a specR (or better) would cost more than 5k, that's more believable.

As for the exhaust, you don't need a custom exhaust. there was an exhaust for sale without the downpipe for £100 the other day. New, Japspeed sell them for £285 where i got mine from.

also seats aren't different.

If i was going to convert a specs into a specr (equivalent) again i would be looking at spending no more than £2k that would include

buying a s14
paying for someone else to wire it up.
me transferring all the parts from the s14 to the s15
buying 2 second hand rear quarter glass
second hand coilovers
new exhaust system

Last edited:
D

dragyth

The seats can be different, but maybe that's personal choice of the owner rather than model variant.

I've definately seen some purpley seats which appear less supportive so I made the general assumption.

Can you give me any advice on taking my S14 engine out of my S13 and into the S15?

Reaction score
The seats can be different, but maybe that's personal choice of the owner rather than model variant.

I've definately seen some purpley seats which appear less supportive so I made the general assumption.

Can you give me any advice on taking my S14 engine out of my S13 and into the S15?
Yea i have seen some different seats also, seen some blue ones which lookes quite nice also matching blue stitching on the steering wheel. Think that was probably at the buyers request when he bought it from the factory.

u have pm