What's new

Chage to UK Taxation from April 2010

Reaction score
Country
This is taken from the MLR website and is a letter recieved by one of its members. Many members have also been complaining for some time about the DVLA/VOSA's inconsitency with its taxation system for imported vehicles...

It may be helpful if I explain that all vehicle registration and licensing in the UK is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) (as amended). Since March 2001, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for newly registered vehicles has been based on CO2 emission levels, in terms of grams per kilometre driven, and the type of fuel used. CO2 emission figures are generally established as part of the European type approval process * the testing that all new cars must undergo to ensure they conform to European safety and environmental standards. However, in cases where vehicles such as yours are imported into the UK from outside the EU, the CO2 emission figure can usually be established as part of the UK enhanced single vehicle approval test. This test is carried out by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

The licensing and registration system in the UK is entirely separate to that of other countries and operates under its own specific legislation. Currently, the period where a vehicle was registered in another country has no bearing on the vehicle’s classification when it was presented for first registration in the UK. Vehicles that have a CO2 emission figure of over 225g/km and are presented for first registration in the UK after 23 March 2006 fall into Band G of what was previously the seven banded graduated VED structure and attract VED according to fuel type. Up until 30 April 2009, the rate of VED for vehicles in band G was £400.

On 1 May 2009, the number of Graduated VED bands was increased from seven to thirteen, in order to provide greater incentives for the uptake of lower-carbon cars. In addition, it was announced in the Budget on 22 April 2009 that a change would be made to the rules relating to how vehicles that are imported into the UK are treated for VED purposes.

Under the new thirteen band system, the old Band G has been split into two new bands L and M. However, you will be interested to know that from 1 April 2010, cars such as yours that were registered in the UK after 23 March 2006 but first registered outside of the UK before that date and emit over 225g/km CO2, will no longer be licensed in bands L or M. These vehicles will be licensed in Band K in line with how similar cars that were registered in the UK before 23 March 2006 will be taxed.

Amendments will be made to the vehicle record held at DVLA to ensure that the renewal reminder for a tax disc or SORN (V11) for tax discs being renewed from 1 April 2010 will show the correct rates.

Therefore the rate of VED for vehicles in band K from 1 April 2010 will be £245.

Regards
Good news for those of us currently paying the emission banding rate :). About time some common sense broke lose in those DVLA offices!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
cool :) they should of thought of that a long time ago to change it though least yous guys with the younger S15s dont need to fork out loads next year on tax :thumbs:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thats great news, shame it took so long to come around though, or that even happened in the first place! :)

V

vti_coupw

:O thats seriously cheap my tax is over 600euros a year, ye hav it easy lads