What's new

coolant line for turbo thread on block stripped

Reaction score
Country
Ok so,
The coolant line thread on the block is stripped. It leaks coolant all over the place and I plan on re-threading it. I have braided lines on the way but i will need to helicoil the re-threaded hole to fit the braided lines. I've done a bit of research and people seem to do what i have just outlined above. There are 'time serts' that are similar, but way more expensive (i think?). don't know if its necessary to spend that much over helicoils.
Anyone had this issue before? How did you go about fixing it?
This is for my s15 spec r.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Helicoil is absolutely fine, a time sert may not be suitable as its a threaded bush and can leak behind it.

I've used a lot of helicoils in the past all with good results

Ensure that you take your time and drill perfectly straight, when tapping the block wind in and out in stages not to put too much pressure on the tap (which can break). Also keep a small telescopic magnet to hand in order to remove all metal filings etc

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Put a folded piece of tissue inside (in a way that you can get it out after with some long nose pliers) then you will find it much easier cleaning up.

Afaik you shouldn't be in contact with oil at any time, well except when taking the turbo off

Reaction score
Country
Yea i'll do that. The only issue now is getting a drill to fit into the engine bay haha, don't want to take the engine out..