What's new

Heat wrap to stock Cast Manifold

A

alexfalk

That?s right. But it happens from time to time that manifolds and downpipes crack. If it?s because of bad quality or the deign of the aftermarket ones is hard to say. But for my HPI downpipe for example it has a strengthening on the top side. So it should be an issue to worry about?:confused:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Im going to be taking off my exhaust manifold to fit braided trubo lines soon.

While I have it off I did think about maybe wrapping my manifold and turbo elbow.

But from reading this it seems like this is not such a good idea...

Do people generally not bother wrapping their manifolds?

Does it really make the massive difference people say it does?

I dont want to do it if there is a chance it could crack the manfold though :confused:

Does wrapping the turbo elbow carry the same risks of cracking or is this quite safe to do?

Thanks.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If you have the sotck heat sheilds, just put those back on. Although you can have it coated if your looking to keep heat down.

With a Stainless Mani, i would wrap it :nod:

G

gunner93

Does wrapping the turbo elbow carry the same risks of cracking or is this quite safe to do?

Thanks.
I had my Tomei elbow wrapped all the way to the down pipe not because i want to but I had off-runs and the misses was nagging me to clear up the mess in my store room. :rotfl: So far no cracking.

Flexy pipe helps to relief the stress on the mani to prevent crack. You can imagine at glowing temp on the mani, coupled with engine movement under load and exhaust movement from road humps and bumbs... will only cause the weakest area of the mani to crack. I belief the flexi-pipe helps somewhat. I could feel lesser vibe immediately after installing it. :nod:

Last edited:
Reaction score
You won't be saying that if the heat wrap cracks the mani... :p
Hi Mates,

I had the same issues as i heatwrapped my tubular stainless steel manifold...it cracked after three days :annoyed:

Reverted to stock manifold and heatshield after that

Reaction score
I don't know if it is possible but the best place to coat the exhaust manifold is inside. That way it reduces the heat being tranfered to the exhaust in the first place.
Can Zircotec do this?