What's new

Too much of a stretch??

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am considering decreasing the stretch of my current tyres when i come to change them. I bought the car with these fitted.. Here is the current setup:

Rota GTR alloy wheels 8.5 x 18 et35 front with 225/40/18 tyres ,9.5 x 18 et30 rear with 255/35/18 tyres

2 main reasons;

1. Some people consider stretching of tyres to be dangerous, have heard folk stories of them coming off the rims in high speed corners etc..

2. Due to the type of wheels if i come anywhere near a kurb they dont like it. Due to the stretch the normal Toyo rim protectors are not doing their job properly..

Now I am not sure how true point 1 is?? However point 2 is quite annoying as I have misjudged it a couple oof times and ended up kicking myself.. (**** happens)

What are people's thoughts on point 1??

The next question is what can i get away with? If i widen the tyres am i going to start fowling something, it seems as though there is a reasonable amount of clearance left??

Is anyone running wider tyres on the same setup??

The suspension currently is Nismo factory, with lowering springs, however this year I am hoping to get Apex Gen2 coilovers.

Als

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
what you have now is the perfect tyre choice - in terms of fit, aspect ratios, comfort and ride etc. thats why i chose them, took me ages to decide. stretched tyres is a bit of a fad i think and has no real benefit, its more so that people can squeeze loony rims under thier arches. i run mine low over tein coilovers, all i had to do was add a 5mm spacer up front and get the rears rolled. can get some pics if you like - if you tell me what angles you want :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you come to your descision was it from this and the SXOC forum or some other research??

My concern is whether stetching a tyre over a Rim that it is not designed for is dangerous?

My car is currently setup with whiteline settings and -1.5o camber, the rear arches rolled too.. Currently and i would rather keep it that way, before the camber was set -3.5o and it handled like ****! It's much better now, so dont really want to muck that up

If the concensus is to leave the tyres the same size then I'll go with that, thought I would see if people thought it was the right decision before i went and spent money on new rear tyres...

sands

Reaction score
id say you are safe thats not a mad stetch. i have 9 x 17 on front whit 215/45, rear 10 x 18 whit 235/40 wheels wouldn't be on it only for the stetch never had any bother whit tyres.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
id say you are safe thats not a mad stetch. i have 9 x 17 on front whit 215/45, rear 10 x 18 whit 235/40 wheels wouldn't be on it only for the stetch never had any bother whit tyres.
:eek:, ok now i feel safe!!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i didn't find out through sxoc, i just looked at numerous tyre combos and this one looked firstly the neatest - the 255 at the rear and the 225 at the front look almost the same profile with the fitment, secondly as its not stretched there is maximum rubber to the road (once i've tweaked the camber that is), thirdly it just didnt seem necessary to fit a stretched tyre - i'm as low as i want to go and its still got plenty of clearance. stretched can look good on the right car - but in reality (and i'm glad this isnt on the sxoc as i'd be shot or called gay LOL) if the tyre needs stretching too much then the wheels too wide or the tyre isnt wide enough........ some people would flame that but i think its right....

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
just for reference I'm running the following, which is a stretch, but don't have any problem.

Front - 18x9.5 (215/45/18)
Rear - 18x10 (245/40/18)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well i just cant see the point in stretching tyres to thier limit on a car thats capable of 150mph+, i know i wouldnt want to be riding around on them lol. and yes, the sxoc as much as i like it does lean towards the more extreme side on these maters - the philosophy seems to be if the wheels are too wide then make the car fit them and not the other way round :)

Reaction score
Country
Im in agreement with Dean. As much as stretched looks 'cool' its not exactly ideal for handling etc. Bit like running loads of neg camber; looks good but only for show or race cars as it makes the driving experience for everyday ****.

FYI - Im running 225/40/18 F & 255/35/18 R on 8.5" F & 9.5" Rear with perfect fitment imo.

sands

Reaction score
Im in agreement with Dean. As much as stretched looks 'cool' its not exactly ideal for handling etc. Bit like running loads of neg camber; looks good but only for show or race cars as it makes the driving experience for everyday ****.

FYI - Im running 225/40/18 F & 255/35/18 R on 8.5" F & 9.5" Rear with perfect fitment imo.
cant say i notice any problem running them every day. had another set of 18's on the s15 for couple of weeks whit out stretched tyres and was no change in driving experience

Reaction score
Country
Its the camber thats going to make most difference to driving experience. Running too stretched tyres just increase of tyre failure when pushed hard though i guess actual change handling performance could be negligable.

G

GUEST_JDM

ive ran a heap of track days with stretched tyres with no problem, as long as you run something with a good side wall you should be fine, there is a real reason for the stretch as well, but only when drifting is concered, when you go side ways running a tyre that fits it will over lap the wheel with the side ways motion putting the tyre to wheel weight out of balance making it harder to enter drift and sustain thus putting less wider tyres on, keeps the tread under the rim its self works on the same idea as drag tyres having massive side walls that flex to add grip, well thats a bad example but you get what i mean, ive always ran toyo's proxes 4 and r888,
17 by 9 +17 front 215 18 by 10 +17 rear 225