What's new

Undersealing

Reaction score
Country
I have been researching on here and I am pretty confident about going ahead and stripping underneath the car and getting it underselaed, inspired by Fruitbooter’s thread.

I just wanted to know if the list of stuff I am going to buy is ok, and the order of doing things.

Once everything is stripped off I am thinking.

1. Wash and degrease underneath.
2. Wire brush on drills etc.
3. Good going over with Deox Gel.
4. Treat with Hydrate 80 where and if necessary.
5. Zinc Primer
6. Seam seal
7. 3m stone chip
8. Dynax UB
9. Spray inside sills with Dynax S50

Aswell as all that I am going to do the usual sub frame and lower arms powder coated, All bolts, heat shields etc plated.

Then refitted with new bushings and a full alignment kit I’ve had stored for so long.

What do you guys reckon does this sound right? Any suggestions would be good as I’m looking to buy the products in the next few days ready for the next good spell of weather.

Reaction score
Looks like we will be doing the same things over the next few weeks... Iv'e been looking into what stuff to use so I will just keep an eye on your thread..Good luck chap..

Mike

Reaction score
Country
I'll need to do this eventually... :( Plus i'll will have to scrape the underseal thats already on there off! :/

Good luck mate, look forward to seeing how you get on!

Reaction score
Country
Looks like we will be doing the same things over the next few weeks... Iv'e been looking into what stuff to use so I will just keep an eye on your thread..Good luck chap..
Cheers, i have never done anything like this before, so it will be...interesting. I want to do it though as i will feel its an achievement and i want to know its done right. Not just slapped over the surface rust like i had, when i paid previously to have a car undersealed.

Sounds good to me!

The electrox primer from Bilt Hamber is top quality.
I want to do pretty much exactly what you have done :thumbs:. I am going for all the bilt hamber products as the results i've seen and even in my own previous experience have been really good.

I noticed you brushed your primer on is that recommeded or just personal choice? As i was thinking of using a compressor and spraying it on.

I'll need to do this eventually... :( Plus i'll will have to scrape the underseal thats already on there off! :/

Good luck mate, look forward to seeing how you get on!
My car has never been undersealed and has been in the UK a year, so it already has a few bits of surface, so i want to sort mine ASAP before any of that surface starts to work in.

I'm going to photograph it all and document it on my build thread too, as threads like that have helped me get inspired to do mine, and hopefully mine will do the same.

Reaction score
I have been put in the direction of this seller on ebay, my friend is a car painter body repairer and uses all his products and he said the insurance company's and car manufacturers are happy for these products to be used in repairs. He reckons it's really good stuff and it's all compatible with each other..

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/dinitroluk

Hope it helps chap...

Reaction score
Country
I want to do pretty much exactly what you have done :thumbs:. I am going for all the bilt hamber products as the results i've seen and even in my own previous experience have been really good.

I noticed you brushed your primer on is that recommeded or just personal choice? As i was thinking of using a compressor and spraying it on.
I brushed it on because it was the simplest way and also because I didn’t have a compressor, would also have been quite awkward as the car wasn’t exactly high of the ground so moving a sprayer around would be tricky in tight spaces...

The top of the arches by the strut tops and alongside the chassis rails were the worst areas, drill attachments are a god send though! if you look at my photos you will see 2 different types, the thin abrasive disc was excellent for the chassis rails as you can turn the drill on the side and it goes along the 90deg angle of the sill perfectly. The other brush attachment is good for more open areas and getting the surface rust off nice and quick.

Reaction score
Country
I have ordered so far.

2 x Deox Gel
1 x Hydrate 80
2 x Electrox Zinc Rich Primer
1 x Dynax S50

I haven't ordered any 3M items or Dynax UB as i'm not 100% yet what to go with as i,ve seen a few different 3M products used, although i am favouring the stonechip then Dynax UB method on the basis of the more the merryier.

That Dinitrol stuff is really good, a friend of mine has used it in the past and really recommends it, i had raced on as usual and already bought the items above so i'm going to stick with the Bilt Hamber stuff now.

Glad you mentioned drill bits Fruitbooter, as i had forgotten to buy some, i am hoping to get out later and get these though, i am going to get the same or similar to what you have used as they look like they will do a good job compared to the drill attachments i have used in the past which don't remove much, just scuff up the surface a bit.

I am still unsure with painting method as i thought compressor due to it being quicker and a smooth finish, but now you mention room underneath i am having second thoughts.