What's new

ABS Light has come on. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Could do with some help. Got a black 2002 Spec R.

It has had a lot of messing around done to it in Japan, but all in all has resulted in a fairly solid car that has been set up very nicely.

E.G. After market manifold, earthing kit, 2 boost gauges that run from different points of the engine, mister suspension, induction kit, front mount, air flow sensor blanked, Apexi ECU, CE28 alloys (love em!), Recaro seats, exhaust + Cat, braces, adjustable arms for handling, hks twin clutch, water pump, and radiator..... It goes on!

From looking at a number of forums this appear to be a relatively common fault with the S15's, however the one thing which never comes up in the forums is the solution to this issue.

My ABS light has recently come on. It only comes on when the car is moving and not stationary.

I have checked break fluids and that is good.

Do not think i can get error codes due to the Apexi ECU install (although have not checked!).

Question i have is this is clearly a common issue and i am hoping there is a common fix, no doubt a few of you have experienced this and may be able to share how you fixed it so i can crack on. :notworthy:

Additionally if any one knows which fuse it is on the foot well i will check this as well. I do not think this is the problem as it only turns on once car moves and not on ignition.

Do not know if this is related but i have noticed if i drive on a wet road, my rear wind screen wiper will just turn on by its self, and i cannot turn it off.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Will share what the final result was and what i have done to fix this afterwards as well just to confirm for others :D

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Reaction score
Country
is the car really low? could it be the driver arch loom isn't tucked out the way enough and has started to shred the loom causing electrical gremlins?

Reaction score
Country
its not stupidly low, but you know what, now that i think about it the rear windscreen wiper issue did start after i hit a pot hole (more like a sink hole) in a gravelly car park.

Where about on the under side does the arch loom tend to protrude?

I will get under there this weekend and check that.

Reaction score
Country
its not stupidly low, but you know what, now that i think about it the rear windscreen wiper issue did start after i hit a pot hole (more like a sink hole) in a gravelly car park.

Where about on the under side does the arch loom tend to protrude?

I will get under there this weekend and check that.
hahahaha is it above the wheel arch?

Reaction score
Country
i know the picture is for a 14 but I'm sure the same applies

standard position:

after a decent tuck:

however in my experience the red ringed area can still snag slight on REALLY low cars (as mine was)

Reaction score
If the loom is fine,

You should check fuse first.

I think, but could be wrong, they are fuses G and H in the engine bay. Two 30a fuses.

Then you can check the grounds on the abs module:

Check continuity between ABS control unit connector terminals
26 (B), 28 (B), 30 (B), 32 (B) and ground.

Then the actuator:
Check resistance between actuator harness 8-pin connector
(body side) terminal 21 (B) and ground.
Resistance: approximately 0W

Then after that, you just have to spend some time with a multi meter checking wheel sensors etc.

There may be a better way around it, but without consult that is how i would attack it.

Reaction score
Country
Mine isn't TOO low but I had a problem where the brake warning light came on constantly & it turned out to be a damaged wire in the front arch, I don't have arch liners fitted though. If its an actual ABS fault then it will probably be one of the sensors, the code from the ECU would tell you which one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
If the loom is fine,

You should check fuse first.

I think, but could be wrong, they are fuses G and H in the engine bay. Two 30a fuses.

Then you can check the grounds on the abs module:

Check continuity between ABS control unit connector terminals
26 (B), 28 (B), 30 (B), 32 (B) and ground.

Then the actuator:
Check resistance between actuator harness 8-pin connector
(body side) terminal 21 (B) and ground.
Resistance: approximately 0W

Then after that, you just have to spend some time with a multi meter checking wheel sensors etc.

There may be a better way around it, but without consult that is how i would attack it.

Thanks TOMK, I did not get the time to check it this weekend because my missus obligated me to some jobs around the yard unfortunately!

I will check this after i have checked the arch loom. However i have gone through the fuses just recently!

however you may need to explain the 26 (B), 28 (B), 30 (B), 32 (B) and ground in a little more detail, cause although i know a bit about my car, and ok ish with Auto electrics. Im not that well versed! sorry.

Thanks,

Jack

Reaction score
Download the service manual. It's a free download available from this site. the file has the entire fault diagnosis process for the ABS, which is where i copied that text from. It will have diagrams of the connectors so you will know which pins to check for continuity.

Reaction score
Country
Hi All,

I thought i should come back to you all with my findings in order to help others along with this subject.

I managed to find a company who was able to speak to the Car (woo hoo!) . They had carried out a number of checks, and evaluated that it was actually the solenoid which had gone in the actual ABS unit its self.

I could not tell you if this is the common reason as to why S15 ABS lights come on, but in my case was the direct problem.

A second hand ABS from a breakers yard cost £95 (including next day delivery) or alternatively it is around £200 to send the ABS to a company who will fix it and provide a life time guarantee (apparently).

Regarding the other issues with the electrics, Hugh and AGTX, you were also correct. Just under the left wheel arch (when facing the car) the hole which leads the loom from the engine bay to under the arch and rubbed fairly substantially severing a handful of wires, including the windscreen washer wires and a few others which did not seem to have a major impact on the actual drive and handling.

All is good in the world now and the car is happy... im happy... were all happy!

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,

Jack