What's new

Battery terminals too big

P

paulphot

Okay, bit of a noob question :eek: but I'm not really up to speed on car electrics :confused: . I have a new battery for the car, it is nice and small so I can fit the FMIC but the terminals on the battery are larger than the factory battery clamps. What are my options to get the two to meet. Do I change the battery clamps, change the whole battery cables or can I file the terminals down so that the factory clamps fit. I don't really want to change the clamps as there are other components coming off the +'ve clamp that I don't know how to attach with new clamps. Returning the battery isn't an option as it was a really good price. Hope someone can help.
Cheers

Reaction score
I'm not sure about filing? Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I just replaced my clamps with larger ones. If thats not an option for you, then I guess replace the battery? I know your not too keen on doing that either but oh well....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I had the same problem and changed the clamps. Wasn't until recently that I realised you can get batteries with smaller terminals which have removable lead 'spacers' to make them up to the larger size. You can also buy batteries which the + and - terminals in opposite positions :rolleyes: Varta is a good place to look...

P

paulphot

So if there are battries that come with spacers to fit the larger clamps there must not be a problem with less conductivity if I file down the large terminals. If you did get a current drop or something then you wouldn't be able to use spacers. The whole terminal is lead so it's not like you are changing metals either. Or am I completely out of my mind? :confused: :confused:

D

Derek

Varta Battery 054 for micra vitara justy etc.. Small terminals will do fmic..