What's new

Crap power out of my new turbo

J

j@garagemac

no the preasure is the same but the volume of air is greater on the 3071r hence why it makes more power otherwise why would you fit a larger turbo you would just keep upping the boost on the t28 otherwise .

is the point im trying to get accross and thats the point bigger turbo= more air coupled with more feul = more power thats the basics of engine dynamics

so to make the same power as a t28 the 3071r would need to boost at only 7.5 psi compaired to the 18psi for the t28

Reaction score
Country
Seems to be very intresting debate here....

I beleive what J@garagemac is trying to say is the 3071r can flow more air in the cyclinder at 1 bar then the smaller t28 at the same pressure.

the pressure preduced by these turbos may be the same but 3071r can push air into the cyclinder much quicker therefore more air in a shorter space of time.

this would explain why a z32AFM is needed as it need to measure extra flow.

This extra flow has to go somewhere.......

pressure is pressure.... but you do have to take acount of the extra flow.

Just think of a pin hole with 1 bar of air coming out, compare that with 1bar of air coming out of a pipe. same pressure different flow rate.

M

manna_s15

just to add anther Q, my Greddy profec B EBC only works on one boost setting, meaning high and low boost appear the same. ive got a 1 bar actuator. shoud i still be able to have high and low boost settings??

J

j@garagemac

yes as long as low boost isnt below 1 bar as thats impossible with that actuator

so low would be 1bar and hight 1.2 ?? some people only set on setting for some reason

T

tass15

wondering if you have sorted this???
i got the same turbo sittin in the shed, but i will be putting in solids, 260/270 12.5 cams, head gasket, etc, just wondering if i should get rid of it and go a smaller turbo?
also j@garage is right, the pressure is the same, but the flow rate is much higher, the engine cam 'eat' alot more air at the same pressure than what the t28 can give, so i bigger compressor and housing will fill the cylinders much easier/ and fit more air in = bigger bang = more power.

M

manna_s15

nah mate im waiting for a tomei expreme mani from jap. then ill book it in to get a diff workshop to look at. yeah ive been doing alot of reading and people have only got good results from this turbo with head work and mildly built engine. but yeah im most prob going to get a smaller turbo. prefer response over all out power for city cruising. thinking the hks/garrett gt2540 or 2530. apparently the 2530 is crazy responsive but its similar to the s15 bb t28.

T

tass15

ok then, i might see if gcg turbos will swap for a smaller one with restocking fee. probly have to go something garret, n loose a couple of dollars. oh well. maybe a 2871 with 46 trim/ 64 ex
thanks for your input, let us know how the expreme goes.