What's new

dirts inside s15 headlight

D

dns15

as time passes i notice there r dirts gathering inside my headlight shield for both of my headlights
as there anyway i can clean it?
or should i ask is there a way to take my headlights apart so i can clean the inside shield?
its getting anoying as im putting on HID kit and the dirts seem in the way of the light

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Are you sure it's on the inside?
I was certain I had dirt on the inside of my glass, but it was on the outside.
use some polish on it and some elbow grease and see if it's better.

You could get the glass of the headlight but it isn't easy. It's sort of glued on and removing it will mean putting it in an oven and bending it loose.
if the oven is to hot you might warp the plastic or even melt your lights. If it's to cold the glue-thingie wont loosen.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :wave:
feel free to write an introduction in the "intruduce yourself" section
and do please

D

dns15

Yakozan said:
Are you sure it's on the inside?
I was certain I had dirt on the inside of my glass, but it was on the outside.
use some polish on it and some elbow grease and see if it's better.

You could get the glass of the headlight but it isn't easy. It's sort of glued on and removing it will mean putting it in an oven and bending it loose.
if the oven is to hot you might warp the plastic or even melt your lights. If it's to cold the glue-thingie wont loosen.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :wave:
feel free to write an introduction in the "intruduce yourself" section
and do please
hi thx for the input
but im pretty damn sure its from the inside cos i rubbed and waxed my headlight hardout and they dont go away for 1 single bit
and i have taken the headlights off for a look from inside when i open the lightbulb tray and im certain that they r from inside ...
so will i be better of taking it to a pro to clean the inside .. if it really is from the inside ...?

and hi im new to this forum sorry for my hasty question hehe
ill do the intro sometime later as im "kinda" bz down here
and btw im from new zealand and a member of SNZ in www.nissansilvia.co.nz if u happen to know haha :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
OK.
To remove the glass you put the lights in an oven. Can't tell you what safe temp is though.. can't remember.
You probobly have to buy some new black glue thingie to refit the glass afterwards.

Be carefull with the temp and how long they are baking :)
The headlights are pretty expensive and you don't want to warp them or melt them.

Also be carefull when removing the glass. The heated up plastic should be pretty soft and is easily deformated.

J

Jono

I get condensation in mine - bloody annoying but I'm not brave enough to bake my lights so I'll have to put up with it I expect. :rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Jono said:
I get condensation in mine - bloody annoying but I'm not brave enough to bake my lights so I'll have to put up with it I expect. :rolleyes:
That's an easy one. Whip out the HB3 9005 bulbs and shove a hairdryer up to their sockets and heat until its all gone...

S

S15R

you sure?

i cant think of any ways that dirt could end up inside the headlights
must be the seal or plugs arent put in properly

mine was abit messed up because i was drilling the housing for HID and i had to blow through parkers and vacuum from low beam.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Really? Our HID kits come with H1 HID bulb converters. Slot straight in and use the existing spring clip. Its just the removable rear cover which needs drilling.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
S15R said:
you sure?

mine was abit messed up because i was drilling the housing for HID and i had to blow through parkers and vacuum from low beam.
I've read somewhere that the plastic glass reacts to UV-rays. If you look at your headlight you proboly see that they're not as clear as they were when new.
I think that is the "dirt" referred to, and the only way to remove that is to remove the glass and polish the inside.

I might be tottaly wrong too :wack:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:wack: :wack: Stone. Smack. Crack. Replacment. How fooking much?!?!!??! There goes the no claims bonus... :cry:

:p :wave:

S

S15R

hmm my hid bulbs were bit bigger, as few of us here experienced the same thing
the headlight housing is very small on s15 which it wasnt going to fit so i had to enlarge the hole to make it fit without any stress on the bulb

but yes, some other HID kits fit on pretty good, im just the unlucky one lol

btw mine was Philips 6000k kit, dont get it, bulbs arent going to fit on s15 :(

with the current s15 i aint going to get HID for it. cant be bother

D

dns15

Yakozan said:
S15R said:
you sure?

I've read somewhere that the plastic glass reacts to UV-rays. If you look at your headlight you proboly see that they're not as clear as they were when new.
I think that is the "dirt" referred to, and the only way to remove that is to remove the glass and polish the inside.

I might be tottaly wrong too :wack:
that is what im suspecting too cos im sure my headlight has no leaks whatsoever while both of them gets blurly at the same time
so i think biggest possibility is the UV rays cos i park under the sun often and u know how deadly the sun at southern hamiphere is :rant:
oh and for the HID fitment
do u drill the circle cover or u squeez them from under the headlight where the orginal lightbulb plug heads to?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My HID bulbs go into the original fitments. The removably circular back covers have to be drilled to allow the HID circuit wiring through. The bulb's two wires have a grommet on to seal the drilled hole.

D

dns15

so what happened to the original hole at the bottom of the headlight?
do u jus seal it?
i can see its ezier to do it this way as u dont need to take the whole headlight off?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not sure I know which hole you are meaning, mate. The setup is exactly the same except for the hole in the round cover (and how its wired, of course).

This is for the H1 bulb only, not the HB3 9005...

D

dns15

u know how normally the powercord that connects the light bulbs r from the bottom of the headlight from stock
now as i am trying to get it thru the round cover by drilling so it this is no use anymore ?
i didnt think of drilling a hole in the round cover but to connect from the bottom which was a pain in the ass idea

do u jus leave it like as it is with the powercord?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Aha, got you. You still need that cable to hook up the HID circuit, so it stays :nod:

A lot of aftermarket HID kits use the existing wiring loom. This is a really bad idea. Although the bulbs use less power and current when ignited, the initial ignition current is huge. So much so that it put the standard loom and attached component under considerable stress and will short their life. To get round this, you need to construct a relay kit. This is basically a self-contained HID loom. It takes a power feed direct off the battery via thicker cabling. My kit (which is made by a guy on SXOC) also has hi/low beam protection. This means that it has a constant feed to it, even when full beam is engaged (they usually go off when the HB3s come on - unless you've bought a hi/low beam kit). It also ensures that the HIDs don't come on when you 'flash' your headlights. Constant off/on engagement of HIDs will shorten their life.