tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Gents,

What temperatures do your cars usually operate when :-

Crusing 70-90mph

hard acceleration 90-160 mph applications

Mine currently is at 120 degrees C @ 90mph 110@ 70mph then will shoot up to 140-150 degrees C when i go over 100 mph 150 degrees when over 130mph. off road of corse :cool:

Just wondering how much an oil cooler will bring these temperatures down.

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Those temps sound high to me, but I havent got a gauge so can't compare.

Show some interet here and we may finally get a GB going on the coolers :)

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=5260790&posted=1#post5260790
Could do, well the crusing temp isnt high since you need it arround that temperature so it lubricates the engine. up to 140 is fine while driving hard since the thinner the oil the less friction the pistons encounter. However the oil properties are at their limit and i dont want to be changine oil every 1000 miles. Summer will be ideal for an oil cooler since my rx7 had two standard. I could make a plate that directs the flow over a smaller surface area for winter applications as i dont want to over cool the oil and cause more engine wear.

Definatly need to have the oil running cooler through the summer and since i do alot of motorway driving it should help me out.

Water temp dosent change when the oil gets to 150 degrees though............................... water is still at 80-90 degrees.

I took my s14 up to 160 for about 10 mins on the autoban 2 years back whilst on the student gumball mis aug after stopping at a services the car wouldnt start untill the oil had got cold enough to give adiquate compression.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
mmm... gotta say these temp looks well high mate?!

Before I got oil cooler fitted, I was running sessions on Silverstone and DWYB hitting 120 deg by which time I always backed off to let her cool down a bit. Normal driving was around 90 deg.

Now with DW oil cooler and thermo plate fitted, I'm getting up to 90 - 100 deg on the hardest runs or DWYB EDC track and cruising on motorway stays firmly around the 70 deg mark.

This is with 10W - 50 if that makes any difference??

tooley

Reaction score
Country
Well with you using 10w-50 it would mean that when your oil is cold it will flow better than mine but when your oil is hot it wont be as thin as mine.

Im using 5w-40 fully synthetic so its going to be thinner at higher temps. which could explain the temperature difference.

May take a trip down to the powertrain building in work and ask some questions to the oil/turbocharger engineers.

sx-si

Reaction score
i dont know the answer but i would put a post on sxoc under s14 tech and thell them the stats and mods :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I could make a plate that directs the flow over a smaller surface area for winter applications as i dont want to over cool the oil and cause more engine wear.
Thermostatic sandwich plate :)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Ive only just fitted my oil temp gauge and not had a chance to test it properly but on a 30 mile motorway trip my oil got to 78 C tops.

Using 5w40 fresh oil, not got a cooler just a relocation kit.

Your temps on the first post sound pretty high to me?

Reaction score
Country
i know my S will run cooler then your turbos but my temp will sit at 90C when cruising, and will only get to 110C, when driving hard, thats bouncing off the speed limiter at 190kph ( 120mph ) car will be doing 5000rpm in 5th. running 5-40 F/S oil, oil temp sensor on sandwich plate.

subzero

Reaction score
checked mine on the way home, at cruising 6th gear - 100kilms ph ... constant 78deg with 10w60 fully Syn oil .... dats with a defi gauge.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
That's really heavy weight oil; why are you running 60weight?

To the OP; your oil temps are WAY too high.

subzero

Reaction score
recommendations from a lot of garages here/drifting crowds ... thinking of changing back as its only a road car so doesnt get the abuse that requires 10w60 ....

is good quality 10w40 enough do you reckon .

tooley

Reaction score
Country
I run 5w-40 since thats what the nissan service book says, s14's use 10w40 so that would also be fine in a s15 but since they are genually lower miles and newer than s14 sr's then a thinner oil is slightly better.

In regards to my oil temperatures im starting to wonder if i left my old temperature sensor in the sandwitch plate, as there is no way my coolant temp would stay at 80 degress when the oil is 140 ................. has to be the sensor ?????

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
recommendations from a lot of garages here/drifting crowds ... thinking of changing back as its only a road car so doesnt get the abuse that requires 10w60 ....

is good quality 10w40 enough do you reckon .
60-anything on a a relatively modern engine like the SR20 is a bandaid approach to oil control and it's extreme overkill in the not-good sense. Just keep your oil temps in check and you can reap all the benefits of a lower viscosity oil.
Street SR20 will never need a 60 weight, and unless you're doing 24 hours of le-drifting then drifters don't need it either.

10w40 will be a good move

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I run 5w-40 since thats what the nissan service book says, s14's use 10w40 so that would also be fine in a s15 but since they are genually lower miles and newer than s14 sr's then a thinner oil is slightly better.

In regards to my oil temperatures im starting to wonder if i left my old temperature sensor in the sandwitch plate, as there is no way my coolant temp would stay at 80 degress when the oil is 140 ................. has to be the sensor ?????
I never ever go anywhere near 140degs on oil temps, a 40 weight oil is practically doing nothing at those temps, let alone 150 and 160degs.
What kind of water cooling system/setup do you have?
Try change the sensor/gauge or add one to the sump drain plug for a quick check? Both should read approximately the same with the sump sensor reading a little lower.