What's new

everyday use, dilemma

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Right guys,just need some advice,what would you do in my shoes?
I currently am looking to buy a house and have both my silvia and a brand new civic type r.
Obviously I am not going to be able to keep both cars when I buy so am stuck trying to decide whcih car to sell..the silvia only has about 40k on and has never let me down ,touch wood. Can it be used as a daily driver without too much drama? I own this car outright so financially would make sense to sell the civic as I owe 7k on it,worth about 17 at the mo so would give me a nice chunk toward my deposit and save me about 500 amonth in car payments insurance etc.only thing it is literally brand new so under warranty etc don't really know what to do ,the silvia is my dream car and finacially a better option ,and would free up money sellin the type r to get some bits and pieces I want for her too,any opinions are very welcome as I am having a tough time decidin cheers guys.

T

Toby

Sell the FN mate, 1st off it give you much more capital and reduce outgoing by 500 p/m secondly its going to depreciate quicker than the Silvia, 3rdly its very clear from what you just wrote you want to keep the silvia.

The only 1 down side is you find you're self relying on the s15 everyday, and also means its subject to bad weather.

With the £500 p/m you will be saving you could get a ****ter if you felt the need.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Keep the Siliva as the daily, and just don't go mad on the mods. If you keep it simple it shouldn't give you any problems :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah my old fn was only worth 9500 after 2 years ,so does make sense,I have very conservative mods engine wise been concentratin more on the sterrin/suspension set up of the car really. Hadn't thought of that could get a banger for work if needs be!think it really does make sense,don't think I could let silv go I wanted one for almost 10 years before I fianlly got one!cheers for the input !

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
forgetting the fact that this is a silvia forum, i say getting rid of the civic is a no brainer.....easier to sell, more money to free up, easier to replace in future and with a small amount of the money buy a cheap daily.....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah definitely agree with all the above mate,think I will set about selling the civic then ,cheers guys much appreciated just needed an outside opinion to make sure.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
i run mine as a daily 50 miles a day (i drive from coventry to swansea every other week) i give it abuse often i drift it at drift days once a month. Nothing ever goes wrong (i service it loads) but i have to due to the abuse i give it.

keep the s15 sell the type r. no brainer...... s15 has better fuel eco also :D

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Good to hear they are reliable dailies,think it is a no brainer really,plus have alloys and coilovers etc for the civic I can sell to add to the pot,think my daily drive to work and back is around 60 miles so not that far,and all motorway cruising so won't be too bad on juice either! Cheers guys!think my mind is made up

K

kababaka

HAHA! I think the S15 forum is the wrong place to ask this question...I think you want to answer to be KEEP THE S15!

I can't see any benefits of keeping the Civic from what you have said. You are going to loose money on it eventually, you are spending £500 a month on it!-thats a mortage repayment!

Get some snow tyres for the winter and you're laughing!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah,that's the main thing is the money I will lose on the civic as I said my old one was only worth 9500 after 2 years,my s15 is worth more than that! I think its already made up in my mind anyway. Yeah keep my 2nd set of rims with snow tyres ,jack up the suspenSion and I will be well away lol

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
I've been running mine as my daily for almost a year and it has not missed a beat and I drive it in all weathers:wack: (snow can be fun but its terrifying when you have traffic about!)
If your your keeping as your daily I would suggest having a look at your ride height and/or carrying tools and lots of cable ties. as it only takes 1 speed bump and your f**ked! Trust me I've been there in the middle of a public car park trying to fit my rear bumper in the car as I had not tools to fix it back on all because of 1 silly speed bump. (funny looking back on it but not at the time).
As a money aspect seems to be the wrong time to be selling S15's as not many people are in the market for them and if you can free up that much cash by selling the type r its got to go.

K

kababaka

:thumbs: Good to know you will be sticking with the S15!

If it makes you feel any better they run snow tyres in the winter in Japan, the roads don't get gritted and everyone just gets on with it. Mine is N/A auto and I have a button on it that says "snow" , which I assume everyone else has, so i'm not too worried!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
oh :( I want a snow button! could have been bloody useful last year! what's it do? (please don't say it makes it snow) :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'd also sell the Civic but would buy a daily hack with some of the spare money. You would be fine using the S15 daily I'm sure, but do you really want to? I love having a daily banger as it saves putting miles on the s15, saves getting it all ****ty in bad weather, but best of all makes the Silvia way more fun to drive by having a weekly blast rather than being used to the power/speed all the time. For £1500 you could easily buy and insure a decent reliable daily driver. :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Mine is N/A auto and I have a button on it that says "snow" , which I assume everyone else has, so i'm not too worried!

Does the 'snow' button make it set off in 2nd gear?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah have to agree,I never really wanted to turn the s15 into a daily as it is quite low milage at the month and seein as I will be freein up so much cash 1500 for a motor I can bash around day to day isn't much of a sacrifice to save the milage on silv,plus the mrs is gonna learn to drive so could let her drive the daily too

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i paid 1k for a one (oap) owner saxo 1.1 two years ago, its probably been the most reliable car i've ever owned cost wise. its had a new exhaust and brakes at about 200-00 total. do it mate, makes it so much more special when you get out of a crap car and into a good one :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, it'd probably pay for itself within the year too with the fuel savings etc. For an example of what you can get for the money, I've got a 2000 Punto JTD which cost me £800 2 years ago with 98k on it, FSH etc. It's done 130k miles now but still runs perfectly and easily does 60mpg if driven sensibly, has air con and all other mod cons too. Well worth it IMO but I do 200 miles per weekend commuting which may have an influence! :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah I am definatley gonna start looking into it now, makes a lot of sense it will free up cash for the house and the things I want to do to silv that I have sacrificed to get the new car.