Heat wrap to stock Cast Manifold

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Is this a good idea or not?

I recently swapped over the manifold as most of you will know, since doing this i cant refit the heatsheild as its knackered. So, can i wrap it up like you would with a SS manifold?

Cheers :)

S

sillbeers15

I have no experience in wrapping exhaust manifold.

In theory of thermodynamics, one should get the heat out of the exhaust and out into the turbo and later into the atmosphere as much and as soon as possible for optimum efficiency. So heatwrap is a good way to acheive that.

However, on the reliability of parts....I've read from many articles that wraps promote rust and cracks due to moisture trapping and heat caused contraction and expansion issues. So I not so sure if the pros outweight the cons?

G

gunner93

Tops,

It will help somewhat to reduce temp in the bay in the absence of mani heat shield. I have my Tomei elbow and down pipe wrapped while still using all ori heat shields. :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I need some way to reduce the temps in the engine bay, so that was my 1st thought.

When we refitted the turbo, the heatsheild form the side of it wasnt refitted :rolleyes:, as we forgot. So now without these two heatsheilds, it gets quite hot quite quickly.

Sillbeers15, some interesting comments there, just wondering how the moisture builds up?

Will the heat within the manifold be much higher than with the heatshild on, to cause contraction and expansion issues?

What about effects of any possible increased heat passed to the turbo, could this have any ill effects?

Thanks guys :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Correct i wont, but does it? Thats my question.

I'm open to any other ideas for heat management around the manifold :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Paint the manifold with heat resistant paint to reduce the chance of rust. Make sure it's very clean before you paint. Then soak the heat wrap with water and a bit of lemon-acid (I doubt that's the correct name in english but don't know what it's called).
That will make it easier to get it tight (Lemon acid is to stop the rust when the wrap is soaked with water).
Then wrap it as tight as possible.

Remember to use protective gloves when handling the wrap as there is fiber-glass in it.

All this info comes from the net. So I take no responsibilty for it :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
From where, do you have any links?

How hard is it going to be to wrap it in-situ? I'm guessing near impossible, but i'd rather not take it off again.....

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
From where, do you have any links?

How hard is it going to be to wrap it in-situ? I'm guessing near impossible, but i'd rather not take it off again.....
I have, but you'll have to learn Swedish first :p
do a google search for something like "exhaust heat wrapping guide" or something and I'm sure you'll find info in english.

I'm sure it's possible to do it while the manifold is still on. Anything is possible you know ;)
Personally, I would remove it though. It would probobly save time and temper.
The result would be probobly be better too.

A

alexfalk

First of all gloves are for amatures:nod:

Well the heat wrap will decrease the heat produced by the manifold a lot. I used to own an RX-7 with single turbo setup. I fitted it with heatwrap and during exhaust temps around 900C you could put your hand on the downpipe without getting burned.

But how it will affect your cast iron manifold is still to be seen. Try it. If it cracks you have a good reason to purchase an ss one.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've just swapped a cracked cast manifold for the current cast manifold..... I dont want to have to do it again anytime soon.

I think i need to do some research..... any ideas to possible alternatives welcome :thumbs:

A

alexfalk

Yep you can have it coated. Only thing is that you have to sand blast it to be able to do it proper. And I don?t think there are anyone out there that would coat the inside of a used manifold. But you should be able to get the temperature down by only coating the exterior.

Another thing. Do you have anything that allows the exhaust to move separately from the downpipe. If you don?t you could end up cracking it again. Exhaust wrap or not.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Another thing. Do you have anything that allows the exhaust to move separately from the downpipe. If you don?t you could end up cracking it again. Exhaust wrap or not.
Like a flexi section you mean? I dont have one of them :no:, there is a bracket at the front side of the cat, but appart from that there is nothing.

A

alexfalk

From my experience it?s often the weld on the inlet side of the downpipe that gives. But I could imagine that a stiff exhaust all the way is putting a lot of strain on the manifold as well.
I would weld in a flexi section in the frontpipe or something if I where you.

That seemed like a good product. It?s not what I meant but I might buy it for my manifold. :thumbs:

This is what I meant. http://www.dicustomcoatings.com/highheat.html
They recomend it for cast iron manifolds so it should not be an issue to do it on yours. I think the strain that the exhaust puts on your manifold is a bigger threat.

Reaction score
I don't think the standard car had a flexi on it hey?

Pretty sure when I swapped the clutch it was because I didn't remove the exhaust that I ended up needing the turbo gaskets doing a short while after - doh! Flexi would have sorted it.