What's new

Help please headlights dont work

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
My head lights have stopped working randomly.

none of the fuses have gone! and my relays work!!..................

now i have factory HID headlights as mine is a 2002 plate so im guessing that maybe the ballasts are nackered? but how could both go at the same time?

on the other hand i did chew through my harness last month at a drift day but i repaired all of that and my headlights were the only things that worked when i did chew the harness so their loom was fine ........................????????????????

any opinions?

i think its 80% my botch repair job or it could be the HID's themselfs.

however ive driven in the wet/snow since and they only stopped working yest..... hmmmmmmm

god i hate cars!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'd investigate your 'repair' ;) and check the earths on the slam panel too. Is it just the dipped beam that don't work?

Reaction score
im having the same problem mate, but its only my passenger headlight that keeps switching off, checked all connections and theyre fine? and the earth is at a good point

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
could just be sods law and both lamps need changing togeather, don't think both ballasts would fail exactly at the same time. At least bying a lamp to check first would be cheeper than two new ballasts for the car

edit: reread that and you said that both dipped and full beams are not working. i'd recheck those fuses with a multimeter to be sure assuming you've only visual inspected them since the two modes use different lamps and starting controls i believe

Has anything else elctrically stoped working (wipers, indicators, side lights), might show if there was a break in the earthing

Last edited:
S

S15 SILVIA

How about the light stalk?
Do the sidelights work?
Try checking to see if there are voltage readouts at different points of the loom. Ie at the stalk, at the ballast in-feed, etc.

Reaction score
Have you tried turning the lights switch from sidelights to main beam?? :p

i'd say your bullet connector temp repair has come apart somewhere? do your rear lights and dash lights work?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Neither dipped or main beam work. Mt repair was a different loom to the headlights ...... Hmmmmmmmm
I thought the loom in the arch did do the headlights..? Whip out the multimeter and check to see if theres power going to the headlights. That'll tell you straight away if the headlights/earths are faulty, or the loom/something before that.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
it dosent explain why my high beam dont work aswell .... everything else works bar dipped/high.........

yea craig the loom is the same but i did not break into the main headlight part. taken both bulbs out they are shagged. im still stuck on why the high beam dont work.

does the circuit require the dipped to be working? looks like the main operate of the dipped?

Reaction score
Arch loom I reckon.. Had a nightmare with mine, looked fine until I ripped the loom plastic covering with a knife a saw the my ignition wire was chewed causing it to not run.. all electrics wires run in there as you know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly the same issue with mine and its driving me mental!!! I have spent sooo much time this its crazy