What's new

WTB: JDM Exhaust manifold

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi, my exhaust mani is rhubarbed and I'm going to need another :(

Want a really good quality one. Anyone have an extra lying around? or one that needs a little crack welded up?

Really want a jap one

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Definitely worth waiting for a proper Japanese one, be it new or used. All 'budget' ones are crap.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers Jordan but just so that I'll have the exhaust sorted once and for all (for a few years anyway) I'll get a Jap one.

It is soooo annoying though as I was going to be off to the pod this weekend.

Craig, have been looking at FRSport quite a bit this afternoon, and was thinking Tomei over the other two they sell, just for JDM value, and an incredible price (exhange rate). I have a special request or two for them too but need to wait until they open to speak to them.

So I am alot to blame here but here is the story...
Got this mani used a year and a half ago. Branded SI? looks very good, really good welds, had previously been wrapped. Wrapped it with my friend and we did a ninja job! 5ish months ago I heard a few rattles in the engine bay at certain RPMs, never found the cause. Meanwhile I diagnose a small exhaust gas leak that slowly gets worse but I put things off until I have a few more bits to fit at the same time. Now here I am, mani off, unwrapped and holy crap, dont think it was the gasket....

max manifold 007.jpgmax manifold 002.jpgmax manifold 001.jpgmax manifold 004.jpgmax manifold 003.jpg

Maybe I wont wrap next time, you dont see this happening (I should have heard and smelt it coming but thought it was gaskets)

I am undecided about whether or not wrapping helps manifold longevity or not... I can see that it slows the cooling process and if done evenly should help prevent cracking this way, but maybe the extra heat combined with the load of the exhaust cracks it instead...

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
oh, and James, the Japspeed one is out of stock :( but I think an FRSport order is calling

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That's pretty shot then! Tomei recommend their manifolds are wrapped - they even include it in the kit. Ceramic coating would be your other option.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Also, a lot of people don't run a flexi section in their exhaust, which increases the chance of the manifold cracking greatly..

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It was at this garage to fix the leak and to put Flexi into the downpipe/elbow to make a funny one piece unit, weld in a wideband boss and full copper gasket and stud/nut change.

Do you know anyone that does ceramic coating then?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Right, thankyou for your help gents!

My plan is to take up Jordan on his offer, have the standard one fitted this week in time for the pod! and use the extra MLS gaskets I have for this.

In the meantime I'll be able to get an FRSport order in and have it delivered with no rush and have that fitted with lovely copper gaskets, and wrap it/have it coated, and fingers crossed no problems.

Thanks again!!