What's new

Larsz Spec R

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Hi,

I have been on this forum for a while already, but not posting alot but using the at the ready knowledge you all share here! I made an introduction thread a very long while ago and thought it would be nice to make a Members thread.

The car is a 2000 spec R, bought from Toby here on the forum. Picked it up early december 2010 and have been loving it since. I dont know exactly how many miles it has done, since I had to replace the speedo but it was somewhere around 120k km now. When bought the car already had lots of stuff done to it and I thought that would be a good base to continue building it. Fate was against me though and had several long periods of unemployment and was on the verge of selling it several times. But that all passed and now I got a new job again and ready to continue with the car.

The speclist:

Jap speed FMIC
Jap speed Manifold, down pipe, decat and cat back
Apexi Filter
Z32 AFM
NGK 7's
Nissan 555 injectors
Walbro 255
Gizzmo set to 1.1bar
Apex 56mm rad
Braded Turbo Lines
Apexi RVS pipe from AFM to Turbo
Garret 2871 R turbo
Alloy recirv Valve
Nissan Undertray

Nismo Upper strut
Nismo Upper & lower arms and tie rods
Tein Super Streets

Rota Drift Grids 8.5" front and 9" rear with 225 45 and 245 40 TR1's
Vertex front bumper
Carbon Culture rear board

Also it had a bottom end rebuild done with the following details:

Bored out to 86.5mm
honed
decked
ACL race Bearings
Stock Crank
Stock Rods
CP Pistons
New water pump
New oil Assy
New crank seals
Belts and chain

But when I bought the car, it already had some rust spots on the seems in the engine bay and the sills (spelling?) are in bad condition too. So my first priority is now, restoring the engine compartment to its former glory. I have been working on it for several days now and im almost ready for the primer and after that it goes back together pretty quickly I hope :)

Some pics:

Im already much further with the paint removal, but I lost some pics on my phone lol. While doing this, Im looking for excuses to purchase new parts, place the Z33 gearbox and some other crap. Ill try to update every now and then Hope to be driving again at the end of June :)

Cheers, Lars

Reaction score
Country
Nice project mate, wish I had a garage that big, it's a big as my house, lol... Will look good with a shiny new rad and fan set up in it :thumbs:

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Yea the space is awesome, though its not really mine. I used to live next door so I know the guy who rents these kind of spaces. He has a whole lot of them lined up on his ground. And I can only use it for about 3 months max. So there is sort of a deadline with this haha :)

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Update time,

After a very busy few days for me, today of all days I could work on the car again. Together with my partner in crime we started early but got into a few bumps already with fitting the Z33 gearbox. The adapter plate fitted perfect and mated the Z33 box nicely with the engine. But in the tunnel were 2 points where it touched the chassis. After a small massage with the hammer, it made enough room for it to sit nicely in the tunnel. But then started the fitting trouble with the shifter. I knew it would sit way back in the original hole, but didnt expect this much:

So after carefull measuring, we ended up with this:

I know that some of you on here on thinking of doing this, and are afraid to hack into the chassis. Well Im afraid there is no other way, I shortend everything there was to be shortend and maybe there was some to be gained with making the shifter mechanism a few mm shorter. But in the end it will still need hacking, because the shifter bracket sits really high on the Z33 box. Else you will end with the shifter mounting plate touching the back of the hole.

With the cover:

As you can see, hardly any space to fit the shifter cover, so will have to make a custom one, or modify the original. Oh yea, the sanding has continued to and is ready for paint coming weekend :)

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
An update is required here. In the past few weeks I was pretty busy with other stuff, but every evening I could sneak out and work on the Silvia, I did. Now the front has been covered in paint again and awaiting some bits to fit everything back together. On advice of a member here, I seamwelded the seams around the struttower and firewall. Should prove usefull in the future :)

Some pics:

Then followed by 2k epoxy primer:

Then followed by seamkit (or how ever you name it)

I tried to use tape as much as possible to make very straight lines. Together with a latex glove and my finger, I got a pretty smooth result. Then 2K paint:

And some 2K clearcoat:

I am very sorry for the bad quality, as I had to use the phone instead of a camera. But the end result is what you can expect from spray cans. The long preparation made it so that I had a very smooth surface to work with and thorougly cleaning everything made it so there is hardly any dust in the paint. Overall I was very pleased with the spray cans of SprayMax wich has adjustable spray patterns and volume. Being 2 components, the paint is very hard as well, best for resisting brake fluid and the likes.

More to follow :)

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Update required. The build up has been sort of slow because of a mixture of insufficent funds, parts not available or other crap. Had to switch garage to and now I am on track again.

ACT Heavy Duty clutch and flywheel:

Z33 gearbox mounted:

Further more I purched a Apexi PowerFC DJetro with commander and all the wiring from a sxoc member. Have to wait a bit for some other parts and finish installing everything else first. Custom driveshaft ordered too, so thats just waiting in customs for a week or 3 :|

More progress later on :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
`Loving where this is going, wish I had the opportunity to sort my engine bay out like you have

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
The space where I did it, wasnt really perfect for this job. I had to build a party tent around the car to make it as dust free as I could. But even then the result wasnt all perfect. Though it saved me ALOT of money doing it myself, and when you take preparation to the next level, the result will be very close to a proffesional paint job. Bringing it to bare metal and build it up layer by layer with proper care in between, makes for a very tough coat of paint. But it takes time, and ALOT of it.

Right now I am pleased with how it turned up, and it certainly gave me the opportunity to fit new bits and do some small maintance here and there :)

Reaction score
Country
Respect for having the skills to take on such a lot of work! would love to see some more of this build :)

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Thanks! Have to be honoust here, it is not all me. A close friend of mine helps out alot and has acces to machining equipment etc. Makes customizing things alot easier haha!

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Got my custom driveshaft in today, what a piece of metal it is!

Quick question though, we had to wreck 2 bolts to get the old 2 piece off, and I recall that Ive read somewhere you dont re-use prop bolts. Now I need new ones but my Nissan FAST has died on me. Any one know wich partnumber I need? And maybe I can use the S14 ones? Thanks!

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
And after 1,5 years of not continuous building she finaly runs. Not all that healthy yet, but I am sooo relieved that the clutch and everything works as it should. The ACT Heavy Duty clutch has a pretty normal pedal feel and we went for a short run after this video. Smooth as a baby, no grinding nothing. Just alot of noise from not heaving isolated the hole of the shifter yet :p Have to mount the exhaust, fix a power drain somewhere and some small things. But the major part is done and now its finishing time!