What's new

WTB: Looking for very cheap s15

Am I wasting my time trying to import a s15

• Total voters
T

tracej88

Hi, I am desperately trying t o get ahold of a s15. I don't care what color it is, what kind of body condition it's in, I don't even care if it runs, or not. There's just one problem though... I'm located in the U.S. And believe me, I have looked everywhere for an s15, and I just cant find one already over here. So that is why I have resorted to this website, in hope that someone could answer my prayers by telling me they have somthing for me. I aware of the sucky car importing laws that we have in America, but I believe I have found a way around them. My cousin lives in canada, and I could have her pick it up for me there, insure and register it, then drive it down here and sell it too me as a off-road vehichle only. That's about how desperate I am. But thanks for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to pm me or email me at dj66@bellsouth.net if you have anything for me.

And im not 100% sure how this poll thing works, but I'm going to give it a shot. And please be honest, because im pretty sure im wasting my time trying to get a s15

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Hi mate, and welcome :wave:

What a difficult one. I know that its not possible to have an S15 as a road car in the US, but I'm not sure about the Canadian regulations. I can only take your word that its possible to do it. Of course, you can only get the S15 as RHD, so certain modifications may need to be made to it, as they do in a number of LHD countries in Europe. Hank S15 may be a good person to speak to about that, as he legalises RHD cars in Holland.

The question you need to be asking is if its really worth going to all that trouble if you can only drive the car on the track... I believe that the only S15s in the US are track cars.

May be worth checking out what the Canadians have to say too. Pay a visit to JDMOC. This is a Canadian Jap car forum.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If you look in japan, you'll find loads and loads of S15 for sale.
You can pick any color you like and any condition too. I would say that there are over 100 S15s sold every week over there.

Buying the car off an auction in japan is the least of your problems. It's actually pretty easy when getting a hang of it.
The jap guy should take care off everything including shipping to wherever you want.

you should check with the canadians first if the car can be imported there.
I know they have Skylines and some other JDM cars there so I think it can be very possible.

H

Hank S15

Isnt there a law which prevent Jap cars younger then 15 years to be registerred?

At least that`s what I read on several Jap exportsites... older then 15 y/o isnt a problem, younger not possible to register.

H

Hank S15

No mate, Canada!

US it`s near to impossible to import Jap cars!
They have crazy strict laws to prevent Jap imports, hard to get one legal!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: Just checked, and you're right about the 15 year rule :( In which case, you're stuffed I'm afraid, tracej88... :cry:

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
http://www.skylinegtr.com/q&a_pg.html

Motorex in Cali does imports including SR20 models (allegedly) but they charge an absolute fortune for the legalization process - they also meet CA standards not Federal. The major stuff is emissions related and having the 'correct' requirements (like pre-cats for cold start emissions as well as cats, EGR, etc..)

Motorex is very secretive about what they do, seems kind of like the Russian approach - which means maybe they don't do anything and use your 12-20k legalization fees in bribing people :thumbs:

T

tracej88

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I can't believe I forgot the 15 year old car law. But i'm doing some research because I Know there are some R34 registered over here. It's probally the rich guy's though, who can pay some people off, too look the other way. Does america's car regulations suck or what. Thanks again.

F

FlyinHwn

do what im trying to do, i live in hawaii so its just as hard, if not harder... anyways i have a friend whos gonna hook me up with a right hand drive 240 and im just gonna buy all the s-15 parts from japan and import it piece by piece and put the whole thing together. cept im thinking rb26 instead of the sr20

Reaction score
I'll ask some of the guys in our San Fransisco office as some of them import and race jap cars. They should be able to provide some pointers.