What's new

Looking to go round again.....

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Hey all, been a long time..... now I'm back with some questions if you've got the answers! It's lengthy so please bear with me...

For anyone that already knows me I was an active member for a few years some time ago while I built up my last s15. I put my heart and soul into the car which eventually got sold when we had our little boy and was swiftly turned into a banana by the new owner, never to go back on the road.

Anyway long story short, my boy starts school full time soon, missus will be back out to work and it feels like the time is right to do it again using everything I learned from last time. This time the car will never be sold!!!

Basically I've been out of it a while but I have a clear goal in mind. It will be a second car for street use, aiming for around 400-450hp reliably and after a lot of consideration I will probably go with a 1jz (vvt or non vvt haven't decided yet) with a single topmount setup using either a 350z or BMW transmission depending on what I think of each and how well it suits being driven for pleasure rather than drifted or tracked.

It doesn't make sense to start with a spec r as the intention I'd to tear the car down and build it up from scratch pretty much. Do it once, do it right. So that probably means a basic straight spec s with auto box.

So basically I have a few questions because my memory isn't too great...

Are spec s driveshafts same as s14 turbo models?
Are they 4 stud?
Is the diff a viscous same as s14 turbo models and does it use the same casing (pretty sure it is but doesn't hurt to ask)
Is the bmc smaller on a spec s (intention is 8pots up front and z32 rears)
How much work is needed on the tunnel for a 350 box using an off the shelf mount kit from one of the generic makers?
Has anyone got experience of a 1j and how it fits with the bmc/servo/cmc/rack with top mount and abs pump on the inlet side? I would consider junking the abs if there are no legal things around it.

I realise that the brakes and chassis bracing are different among other things but being essentially the same car I'd much sooner start with an s seeing as a lot of it will be binned anyway....don't see the point in paying the extra for stuff I'm going to remove anyway. I'd be relocating battery and fuse box as well and any other crap out of the bay that isn't needed to make as much room as possible.

I also realise there will be people questioning 1j over rb and it just comes down to the amount spent vs reliable power made. I realise the rb would probably be much easier layout wise but the 1j will give me what I want for the amount I want to spend without the kind of money you have to throw at an Sr etc to get it there and the gearbox problems that come with it.

Budget would be around 15k, 10k for the completed car ready to roll with all new suspension, polybushed, braced, brakes, wheels and tyres, kit and paint etc as I can budget for all that and another 5k with a little leeway for the engine with all work done myself besides paint and setting up. If I can get it done on target it's a bargain as a stock spec r still fetches 10k - that's how I justify it anyway :) any other complimentary bits and bobs that aren't essential to getting it going engine wise and tarting up the interior can be added over time but the aim is to get the car how I want it and running well. After that the rest is just icing....

Dean.

Reaction score
Country
i can only answer a few

Are spec s driveshafts same as s14 turbo models? yes, also the standard Spec S prop is smaller diameter than a 14 therefor probably weaker

Are they 4 stud? no, 5 Stud
Is the diff a viscous same as s14 turbo models and does it use the same casing (pretty sure it is but doesn't hurt to ask) a standard 14 diff does fit
Is the bmc smaller on a spec s (intention is 8pots up front and z32 rears) yeah its a BMC50 same as a standard 14

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Nice one Hugh pretty much as suspected so far then. Prop would be junked for a custom one. Good to have 5 stud for starters and as long as there was room a z32bmc is a cheap fix. Any more for any more?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Let the journey begin! For £15k your could get a 500bhp R32 GTR?
not many road cars ready built with 1jz, mostly comp drift cars with them bodged in enough to drift! Would be nice to see a road spec 1jz S15 all done so it looks nice!!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I know that is a thing but if I do it myself it will be exactly what I want it to be and I can build it up over time rather than paying out 15k in 1 lump. Plus I know full well I would want to do things to whatever car I get and starting with a basic spec s body means there's loads to do with it before I even get to the good stuff. I'll be putting more time in than money. I loved the s15 and of all the cars I've had before or since it was 'the one'.

I've since had a WRX STI, BMW 335i, fn2 type r, and now a BMW 545i in the last 4 years and nothing lasts long before I get bored.... plus I know the car inside out apart from the engine & gearbox combination, that and the associated wiring which I'm expecting to be the only big challenges. I know a guy that has the setup in his s13 and it goes like stink, but it was originally set up for drift and the car itself is no compromise so not the nicest place to be and hard to draw too many conclusions from

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
welcome back dean! look forward to seeing what you build. a guy on the sxoc has done something like your thinking to his s14. may be worth picking his brain? think its jonny mac

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Good to see you back buddy! If you need help sourcing a spec s give me a shout. Rear end I would try and get a gtr set up. That's what I fitted to mine has a 1.5 way , thicker shafts and the bigger brake set up / same as the z32 . Take more of a bashing than the s15 shafts which I destroyed 4 set of
Will need a custom prop and box wise the z33 is the way to go but prices are getting silly now . Will need to massage the tunnel a bit, I'm doing it to mine so can send you pics along the way .
That's a decent budget but we all know how quickly that will disappear ha ha
I'm sure my mate knows someone who has done the swap already so can try get info for you
I'd do a 2jz rather than rob if I was going spec s build
Totally understandable ,look forward to seeing this progress mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, the Z33 6 speed box will fit but will take a bit of tunnel bashing, not hard as we have a guy in our club who has done it..

The diff casing is an R200 and yes the Spec S is viscos only the R came with Helical..( rubbish)
Definitely use an Z32 BMC otherwise the brake bias will be favouring the rears
In the mix...LS2 conversion
I would seriously consider R33/34GTR front and rear Brembos...

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Hey Chris how you doing mate. Been a while. Main reason I thought of 1j is because I know a couple of people that know them well, they seem pretty bulletproof and inexpensive/uncomplicated to tune. And are fairly readily available for decent money with loads of support. The rear end could be changed by all means but I wouldn't want to run into any problems with an initial build so if the shafts and diff were workable to get a finished car then that would work. Switching to a different diff and shafts later would be no problem. As for brakes I was really happy with the last setup but have been out of it for a while, I'm not sure what's around now and for what money. I've also noticed a few of the mainstay go-to people for parts seem to have folded as well but sourcing bits still seems easy enough.
All this being said, the great thing about building it up from scratch is I can prep the tunnel etc to accept whatever box, get the chassis ready and then a mount kit, some wiring,front arb and exhaust can all be configured to whatever setup eventually does go in. Asus, I always did like the idea of LS, just seemed a very expensive conversion at the time and I was wrestling with the idea as I already had a tonne of money in my Sr.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hey Chris how you doing mate. Been a while. Main reason I thought of 1j is because I know a couple of people that know them well, they seem pretty bulletproof and inexpensive/uncomplicated to tune. And are fairly readily available for decent money with loads of support. The rear end could be changed by all means but I wouldn't want to run into any problems with an initial build so if the shafts and diff were workable to get a finished car then that would work. Switching to a different diff and shafts later would be no problem. As for brakes I was really happy with the last setup but have been out of it for a while, I'm not sure what's around now and for what money. I've also noticed a few of the mainstay go-to people for parts seem to have folded as well but sourcing bits still seems easy enough.
All this being said, the great thing about building it up from scratch is I can prep the tunnel etc to accept whatever box, get the chassis ready and then a mount kit, some wiring,front arb and exhaust can all be configured to whatever setup eventually does go in. Asus, I always did like the idea of LS, just seemed a very expensive conversion at the time and I was wrestling with the idea as I already had a tonne of money in my Sr.
All good here buddy ! Nice to have you back
Yeah it's a good engine and haven't got the scene tax of an rb or 2j
Still plenty about just have to search a bit harder nowadays ! Yeah that is Defo the best part doing a ground up build take your time and do it all right first time around . Should be good fun dude! You building it in your garage again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
The most likely answer is yes mate lol. Though I know a guy with a unit now the bulk of it could feasibly be done in there, if the engine and box etc is going to be ripped out and everything drained I can see no reason I can't get a spit set up in there (i think its wide enough and the ceiling high enough)and then move the car over to one side. Once the underbody is sorted and the running gear built back up it can go back on its wheels to go out to be trailered anywhere etc. Last time it really wasn't too bad apart from being on my back to do the work. Changing a gearbox under the car is no fun at all :| If I could get the car in a more easily workable position it would be great.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha ha cool man. Would be a bit easier in a proper workshop if possible . I'm looking to get a rotisserie for my place comes in proper handy. Are you going all out on it like the last one ?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Mate if you were more local to me you would be the first one I'd ask! How's the business coming along anyway? I have occasionally checked in here over the last few years just to see the progress on your car if I'm honest. That thing will be amazing when it's done.
I most likely would go all out mate but this time I wouldn't mess around. I spent a lot of time and money last time figuring out the best way to do things so this time I could put that to good use. Fresh imports are looking a bit pricey (even a poverty spec s auto) so I'm not rushing into anything but I'd prefer not to buy a car that's already here because the tin worm will just make stuff harder
Plus I don't want to have to 'fix' anything that's been done already, I'd sooner it had never been touched...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha ha well you are more than welcome whenever you want dude even if just to whack it on a 2 poster to do a service . I'm hoping to go full time in my workshop in the next couple of weeks as I have just had my booth installed and my floor is being done as we speak ( on holiday for some long overdue r&r ATM so should be set when I get home ) thanks mate , i decided to go all out and have it exactly how I always wanted , just getting the last bits of the engine together ATM hoping to paint it next month .
Yeah that is the good thing , second time around you know what to do and how to do it so should be a nice project ! Well I am sure I can get you a cheap spec s if you are interested I can see what my mate can find just for reference ?

Reaction score
They haven't really changed much in price over the last few years to be honest. I've not looked recently but I do keep my eye on them every now and then, they've just stayed level. You can get a Spec R for less than what they were 6 years ago but that's because they're getting on a bit now and some of the UK cars have suffered from the climate somewhat.

Nice to see you're getting involved with a new project Dean, I don't come on here much myself nowadays but like to catch up with what's going on too :D

Reaction score
Here in Australia they have held their prices pretty well and in fact a good clean low mileage car has gone up..They have relaxed the laws which prevented younger drivers from driving them so the demand has increased while the supply has decreased with time and abuse...

Reaction score
What I will say is there are not many good cars that come up for sale often, most have damaged bodywork, rust, cheap fibreglass parts fitted, terrible wheel choice/fitments. Over the last two years of looking on and off I've found probably 90% of cars well overpriced. I have only enquired about ONE car during a two year search! A "huge spec" car now consists of a set of coilovers, a nistune and a front mount :wack:. If you want a nice clean stock bodied or Aero kitted car, you're best importing I think, but at a premium. Obviously, the good cars aren't being sold