What's new

Manually setting the timing!

Reaction score
Country
Ok, so i've been alerted that when i pulled out the crank sensor, that i'd probably have fiddled with it.. which i did. because i didnt know what it was, i'm only human after all. so now the reason my car isnt firing, is because the timing is out, so it seems.

So, does anybody have a guide on how to set the timing, and which piston is number 1 for setting top, etc.. any help including photos or anything would be mega!! thanks :D

Reaction score
Country
>> Whats the best way to manually turn it over? i've ticked the engine over quickly to get it to a rough spot for lining up, but needs to be spot on, cant seem to get my paws down to a decent place to get a socket on from the top... might be able to get at it from underneath.. any ideas? (the fan shroud is a nightmare and will get removed when i can! haha)

Think this link explains it quite well from what i can see, but if anyone has anything else to add, feel free! :)

http://www.frsport.com/How-To-Set-Crank-Angle-Sensor--CAS--Timing-on-the-SR20DET-Engine_t_25.html

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Final Update!
My car now works!

Turns out that for ever turn of the.. something.. the camshaft turns twice.. or something like that. so basically everytime i lined up the number 1 piston at TDC with the CAS.. i was putting it in 180 degrees the wrong way.. sheer bad luck i guess. Just for your info if anyone else removes it 'by accident' :)

M

martinbattye

bare in mind you cannot get it wrong if you take the rocker lid off and align the dots!!