What's new

MOT'ing de-cats?

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys,

Does anyone know of a 'friendly' MOT station in West London?

PM me please if you do?

Als

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Good luck. With VOSA doing spot checks and following MoTs wirelessly just around the corner from testing stations, less and less stations are willing to risk it.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
so what, do most people put em back on for the test then?

Reaction score
that's all i did with mine for MOT.... only 6 bolts. takes longer to jack the car up and get the spanners out, than to do to job! lol

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It'll never pass emissions legally without a cat.

I'm not saying you won't find someone who will pass it without the cat. Its just that if VOSA demanded a re-test after it passed (within minutes), the garage (not tester) would lose their testing licence. Hence why they aren't willing to risk it generally. The testers and garage have no idea VOSA are following a test live. On the whole, not a bad thing.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
When VOSA do spot checks, they don't inform the garage. They connect to the MoT mainframe wirelessly from a location nearby and watch the MoT as its logged (its all done on computers now). If they suspect anything (or even if the don't), they will attend the garage while the car is still in the station and demand a full retest whilst they watch. If anything was missed the first time, the garage is fcuked.

D

david

It must have been a faulty machine cause its not possible and car would pass with a cat gone,the co is messured from the cat along with other things.
same as if u have a leak in ur exhaust it will drive the lambda reading up!

M

Matt_S

nope.. mine was out by point 1 of a co with the OEM cat however the cat was hollo.. I mean basically a decat there was nothing in it.
Ive seen 300ZX make massive smoke clouds doing that - hollow cats. It creates a vacuum