What's new

Opinions on tires

E

Endless

Hi all, I'm planning on going to a trackday event (2 days), and need to figure out about tires. Currently, my front tires are half worn Yoko AD07 and rear are half worn DZ101. I think my driving habit shouldn't be too aggressive on the track, rather to enjoy the driving experience. I have few options below

1) just change the rear to new AD07, with my current half worn AD07 in the front (Cheapest way)

2) Get 4 new Bridgestone RE-01R or AD07 (this is my prefer option)

3) Get 4 R tires (A048 or etc.)

If I get the R tires, I would switch back to my street tires after trackday, however, I kinda want to change my current street tires soon....I mostly prefer to change to 4 new Bridgestone RE-01R, I'm just concern will they be able to last after trackday use?

Reaction score
Country
The best option would be getting 4 semis

This way even you can fully enjoy the grips from it. Corner speed, braking etc etc. With the RE01R, it should be alright for the track but will not match the semis, however I dont think they will last very long been a soft compound.

Reaction score
If your not interested in setting times - which your not and as nobody should on a track day (there is no timing normally) then I'd heavily advise using the ones you already have on.

Then after the track day when they're 100% worn out get some nice new tyres for the road! :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thats what i would do, dont see the point in taking spare wheels etc, just get new tires once your done. Thats if the dont melt and will stay legal for your drive home :D

E

Endless

If your not interested in setting times - which your not and as nobody should on a track day (there is no timing normally) then I'd heavily advise using the ones you already have on.

Then after the track day when they're 100% worn out get some nice new tyres for the road! :)

That's what I thought of as well...however, my rear tires are really not grippy, and the tail seems to slide very easily, making it difficult to drive (not into drifting)....

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Have you checked your wheel alignment?
I only have 225 Yokohama DNA GP tyres in the back but it isn't sliding inless in the wet or if I want to.
On the track it's very grippy untill they overheat.
You might have more power than me though. only have about 240-250hp @ at the wheels.

R-tyres are very very grippy when heated. Not to bad when cold but they really shine when warm.
Supposed to wear pretty fast though and not very good in the wet.

I would love to have some 17" R-tyres for track use But I think I might set my brakes on fire with the added grip. So no R-tyres for me untill I've upgraded my brakes.