What's new

Quietest LSD

Y

YazS150

As above...I've almost decided to go for the Nismo Pro Lsd but I hear its quite noisey. I'm only after a 1.5way. I want performance and comfort if possible.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Why change it at all unless you are planning on doing some serious drifting? The standard helical diff is excellent.

Y

YazS150

Why change it at all unless you are planning on doing some serious drifting? The standard helical diff is excellent.
Well I think my diff is worn.... a friend did some small drifting and he sed only one wheel was spinning

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. Your friend knows nothing about LSDs then. That's exactly what the helical diff should do... :) It was designed for road holding, not drifting. Take it round the track and you'll find its brilliant.

Y

YazS150

Lol. Your friend knows nothing about LSDs then. That's exactly what the helical diff should do... :) It was designed for road holding, not drifting. Take it round the track and you'll find its brilliant.
It is quite good off the line as well in terms of 'santa podding'. i've heard of ppl launching at close to 4Krpm with very little wheel spin. Anyhow...wouldn't a 1.5 way have best of both worlds?? Road holding and drifting?

M

Matt_S

The helical will put the power down more efficiently than a locker.
I am amazed at how well the S15 doesnt light the wheels up with 75 odd more bhp than the S14 used to have. ANd my S14 ran a Kaaz 2 way.

You can drift with a helical, but you have to be REALLY agressive. Ive not tried it yet, but thats what Ive been led to believe.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Ive got a Nismo on mine.

No idea if it is a 1.5 or 2 way (came on the car).

If you want quiet then Nismo is not for you.

It clunks and bangs all the time, and Im sure people think I cannot drive or my car is broken half the time when Im pulling on of junctions and stuff :rotfl:

M

Matt_S

Thats for a US Nissan 200SX SER. Not for an S body at all! SO dont go buying that!

TBH I was lead to believe the Nismo's were among the quietest on the market. May be worth dropping Phil at Driftworks a line. He's used a few in his years :). I know he ran a Nismo first before going for the Kaaz.

Reaction score
Try reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

Effectively a Torsen diff never locks. Instead it adjusts the torque sent to each of the wheels and will do so unless A) the torque overpowers both wheels or B) a wheel is in the air. In this case it works like an open diff.

In my experience if you drive too aggresively (dumping the clutch in 1st for example) the diff will just let the wheel with the least grip spin. Therefore it is not suitable for drifting but is good for fast road and track driving.

I had a Torsen diff in my old Honda Civic (MB6 models got Integra Type R diff) and it did wonders for the handling and traction out of corners. It also does a jod job in my S15.

Reaction score
BTW I think a Quaife diff is just a Torsen diff with some built in pre-load.
The cut-away pictures on there website look very similar as does the description of how it works.

Reaction score
Try reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

Effectively a Torsen diff never locks. Instead it adjusts the torque sent to each of the wheels and will do so unless A) the torque overpowers both wheels or B) a wheel is in the air. In this case it works like an open diff.

In my experience if you drive too aggresively (dumping the clutch in 1st for example) the diff will just let the wheel with the least grip spin. Therefore it is not suitable for drifting but is good for fast road and track driving.

I had a Torsen diff in my old Honda Civic (MB6 models got Integra Type R diff) and it did wonders for the handling and traction out of corners. It also does a jod job in my S15.
Mate,

What torsen diff are you using for your S15?

:thumbs:

K

kazama

The helical will put the power down more efficiently than a locker.
I am amazed at how well the S15 doesnt light the wheels up with 75 odd more bhp than the S14 used to have. ANd my S14 ran a Kaaz 2 way.

You can drift with a helical, but you have to be REALLY agressive. Ive not tried it yet, but thats what Ive been led to believe.

I don't think the stock Helical LSDs are better on putting the power down
to the ground as compared to an aftermarket 1.5/2way lsd.

It was designed with comfort in mind, so I'm pretty sure that it was
built to have a compromise on performance/cost/noise/comfort/etc. Think about it.

If it puts power to the ground better than an aftermarket lsd,
nobody would want to buy an aftermarket lsd, and continue to use their stockers.

Also, if you say that the stocker goes round a track better than an aftermarket lsd,
then why do all of the track cars in Japan uses an aftermarket lsd ?

To believe in how good an aftermarket 2way lsd actually is.
You really need to drive on to its limits. It feels so good, so predictable as compared to the stock one.
Not rely on what ppl THINK about them.

Reaction score
Country
I think its a common misconception that a 2way/1.5way will clunk. If they are setup right with the correct backlash and a proper run in, they will not clunk.

Or you can get a less aggressive lsd such as the nismo gt pro TT which has a less aggressive cam angle of engagement.

Helicals are good until one wheel leaves the air on ripple strip.

Reaction score
I'm sure if you are searching for the last 10th of a second off your lap time a locking diff is the thing to go for.
However if you want a car that can be driven comfortably fast on road and track, isn't noisy, doesn't require additional mantainence and can be used by novice and experienced drivers the Torsen/Helical diff is the one to go for.
As Kazama says it is a compromise but to get that extra "vehicle dynamic" performance you are sacrificing performance in other areas and, lets face it most of us aren't good enough drivers to make use of the extra performance.
I like to think I'm a hero behind to wheel but I know I'm not!

Last edited:
Y

YazS150

I'm sure if you are searching for the last 10th of a second off your lap time a locking diff is the thing to go for.
However if you want a car that can be driven comfortably fast on road and track, isn't noisy, doesn't require additional mantainence and can be used by novice and experienced drivers the Torsen/Helical diff is the one to go for.
As Kazama says it is a compromise but to get that extra "vehicle dynamic" performance you are sacrificing performance in other areas and, lets face it most of us aren't good enough drivers to make use of the extra performance.
I like to think I'm a hero behind to wheel but I know I'm not!
Ok I understand what you're saying. So are the 1.5way diffs no good for off the line traction??

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'll read the links that Ozone put on here when I get a chance but simple question - what is this business about 1.5, 2 or 2-way etc with diffs. What is it a measurement of and how does 1.5 differ to 2?

Cheers :)