Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Pulled my finger out and fitted my Racespec oil catch tank today :D

It confirmed that I really hate cutting-down braided hoses now... Anyway, looked good in the end. :thumbs:

D

Derek

Nicely, Did it come eith the braided hoses.. There nice.. I must get some.. The 15mm plastic pipe just looks wrong..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can get it with the braided lines and fittings, with just the fittings, or just the tank. :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looks good mate, quite alot of pipework flying around your engine bay now :nod:

Are these nessesary?? The catch tanks i mean??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Everyone should have one as it stops dirty oil fumes going in to the engine so you get a better air/fuel mixture! :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I had a greddy one, but sold it as it was to big, i like where that one sits though :thumbs:

Why is it tapped into the rear of the head aswell?? I thought they only went to the front right??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not entirely sure. You are right though, most take off the right. The rear left normal connects to the plenum and creates a vacuum in the cam cover.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So what has that done by removing the vacuum??

What have you done at the Plenum??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, the only thing I can think that it does is to suck fumes up from the turbo inlet (where the right side pipe goes to). As the pipe to the turbo inlet is redirected to the catch tank, I don't see what purpose the vacuum would have. There is normally a one way valve on the plenum pipe, so fumes won't pass through to the plenum.

Both the original plenum and turbo inlet pipes need blocking.

J

Jono

How long did it take to fit Nicely? and was it easy to do?

and did you think to take photo's along the way and create a fitting guide?! :p

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its all fairly straightforward. What took longest was cutting the braided hose and getting the fittings over the cut braids, which splay out everywhere. Right :rant: :mad: :furious: pain in the arse! Found the secret in the end... :rolleyes:

Yes, did take photos, but its a fairly specific installation. If anyone buys one, you may want to opt for the non-braided option (with fittings), as its considerably cheaper... But then, braided hoses that size aren't cheap, and they look the nuts :D

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Its all fairly straightforward. What took longest was cutting the braided hose and getting the fittings over the cut braids, which splay out everywhere. Right :rant: :mad: :furious: pain in the arse! Found the secret in the end... :rolleyes:

Yes, did take photos, but its a fairly specific installation. If anyone buys one, you may want to opt for the non-braided option (with fittings), as its considerably cheaper... But then, braided hoses that size aren't cheap, and they look the nuts :D
I've experienced the braided pain with the Greddy oil filter relocation kit.
But that was only when fitting shitty hose-clamps (bling edition). I would feel much safer if the Greddy kit had those fittings you have on the OCT.

tip for those who intend to play with braided hoses. Get some armored gloves.

T

Tom

i've had the pain of trying to cut these types of hoses before, and the best way i found of doing the job without ending up looking like you've spent all evening boxing hedgehogs is to wrap the area you want to cut in masking tape good and tightly, then cut through the tape as well it stops the sharp bits sticking in you ( in theory :) )

Reaction score
In regards to the piping placement - I too was wondering where to tap it an here's how I understand the situation. The plenum outlet side only sucks air from the crank case into the plenum under light load (ie vacuum). The one way valve ensures only air goes out and not into the crank case. Once the engine experiences positive pressure (boost), the valve shuts and the only place to release pressure is through the vent on the air filter side (by the cams). This pipe is usually plumbed into the inlet tract and thus sucks pressure from the engine crankcase. I've simply placed the oil catch can in between the two points (front side vent and inlet tract - air filter pipe). This is basically a "can" in between the factory set up. I've seen many variations on this theme and am unsure on which is best. I've seen just one line out from the front vent, I've seen the front and rear vents joined, Nicely's set up, a filter on the end of the front vent (messy mist). I've heard it's good to keep the system closed to avoid air leaks and also a nice oil mist being sprayed all over your engine bay! My engine is fairly young (45K) and I've yet to see any oil fill my system. Once your engine gets tired and you get heaps of blow by (high boost also increases the risk of this), then the tank will fill regularly.