What's new

Release bearing repair wtf? need quick replies

Reaction score
Country
we're now thinking it could be the input shaft bearing.. but box is back on and theres like no way we're doing it all over again. It's noisy when clutch is out silent when clutch is in. sounds like metal on metal grinding contact with a bearing spinning that's noisy noise. hard to explain

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
You'd need a third one to test then IMO...

If it was the gearbox it would be noisy with the clutch dipped too

Is the fork in the right place?

Reaction score
Country
ill give you guys a video really think its input shaft bearing. also to help you guys last time i done more oil change like 1 month ago had alot of metal shavings on drain plug took it off again was some on there again.

Reaction score
Country
does the old thrust bearing turn smoothly? or has it got resistance? did you change the spigot bush in the back of the crank while you had the box out? did you even look at the spigot bush?
did you turn the input shaft and try to move it up and down side to side to check for excessive wear? graunching at all.

Reaction score
Ok thats a NPC clutch which is an Aussie rebadged Exedy Clutch from a company in QLD. They make good twin plates but I think the singles are just ok. I would take the pressure plate off and check your clutch plate as it's more than likely just an HD organic. Look at your spigot bush as well. Also just looking at your thrust race contact on your pressure plate, it looks a bit uneven so maybe a clutch alignment issue.

Reaction score
Country
heads going crazy on what to do.. i have a guy wanting to buy it for 17g very very interested he wants an inspection done on the car. not sure if i just sell it like that or i pull the box out get it reconditioned which will probably cost alot... or buy a whole new box. just don't wanna take it out again because it was so so effort

Reaction score
Country
If hes willing to pay 17g for a +t then he knows nothing about S15's since he wants an inspection done by someone else well that confirms it. The people who do those inspections will look at things that are easy problems to fix but will tell people that they are big issues. Dont hold your hopes up for that guy buying your car. Any problems that are obvious and he prob wont buy it unless hes really hell bent on your car specifically.

If you have a really bad noise then you might just have to bite the bullet, pull the box again, and get it sorted

Reaction score
Country
have you pulled the box out again yet?

once you do, photo / video as much as you can, turn the input shaft by hand, do you feel resistance like metal grinding the input shaft will turn easy enough once its out. Have you taken your clutch apart? ( get a clutch alignment tool) photo/video the clutch components too as you may have a broken spring on the clutch disk, take the thrust bearing/shift fork apart, look for cracks on the shift fork, clean the shift fork first.

When driving the car you you have any problems in any of the gears? does it move in and out of ALL of the gears without a harshness?

I know you dont want to pull it out again, but dude i have just taken the box out of my car and put it back in twice, twice because i resembled it and forgot to put a bearing and spring in... would not stay in reverse.. sucks but if you want to have "boy racer" cars and thrash the crap out of them then this sort of thing is what you have to put up with, they break