What's new

Removing steering wheel

A

Anubis

Hey all,

I have just bought a JDM steering wheel for my s15 and was wondering if anyone can tell me how i remove the current wheel without using a handsaw :)

Thanks,

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, by chance I happened to take photos when I did mine the other week. Unfortunately, they aren't webified and I'm moving house this weekend, so there is zero chance of posting them.

Its quite straightforward and is documented fairly well in the workshop manual. However, the two things you need beforehand are a set of security torx bits and some thread lock. Oh, and a socket big enough to undo the centre nut.

You MUST disconnect the battery and drain any residual power before starting. Don't forget to disconnect the battery :nod: And most important, make sure you don't have the battery connected when you do it :no: The air bag contains an explosive charge which you really don't want to be triggered....

A

Anubis

Champion... i'll dig through the manual then.

Going to have to buy those tools i think.

Reaction score
yeh, basically disconnect the battery, pull out the two side plastic covers, use the torx screws to remove the screws holding the airbag in... once thats done, the airbag should slide out after you un-clip the wire from behind, this should then reveal a large nut which you can undo with a wheel cross brace.. after you've undone the nut, hand tighten it a little then smash the steering wheel with a rubber mallet, front/left/right/back and center, undo the nut you hand tightened and pull the wheel off with a bit of force.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There should be a mark on the wheel and centre rod to allow you to align the two correctly. The important thing is not to turn the air bag cable mechanism, or if you do, make sure its centred properly (see the manual). Screwing that up will cause the cable to snap when turning the steering wheel.

R

R3N

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I figure its better than starting a new one on the same subject. I was going through the service manual and it says;

The special bolts are coated with bonding agent. Do not​
use old bolts after removal; replace with new ones.

Is it necessary to get new bolts? Or can I reuse the old ones?

D

david

The old one is fine too use i worked with nissan for years so iv heard that before but there is really no need just make sure its tight enough!

G

gunner93

I'm not sure how to call it but the bolts have some plasticky stuff on the thread making it very difficult to unbolt without a correct Allen Key size. The Allen key size is also special size (i think) for security reason. Mine was bust up so I just replace with a normal hex bolt head.

R

R3N

yea to undo the bolt you need a tamperproof torx bit (T30), went and got a set just now and was easy enough to do