What's new

removing the steeringwheel

G

GUEST_JDM

i dont have a guide but ive taken mine off to swap with a new one, air bag and all n i had no problem with the air bag light.
there is a couple of tricks to know as well.... eg you shouldnt have the wheel dead stright or you will set the air bag computer off, so when u re-install the wheel you will not get an air bag light on your dash!
make sure to remove the possitive terminal on the battery also before you start any work
you will also need a 5 star security bit to remove the air bag from the wheel as well
ill pm you with a detailed description if you would like

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Please note: S15OC, it's admins and members take no responsibility for any guides given on this forum. Working with a pyrotechnic device such as airbags can be dangerous and / or deadly. Please make sure that you take necessary precautions. I would suggest consulting the service manual and tripple check that you battery is disconnected and you have drained all power from the car.

Reaction score
Country
could you post a detailed description of what you did? Any special tools or tricks to pull the oem wheel off the spline?

G

GUEST_JDM

this is just what i sent to bodyworkx
hey mate ill try write out a detailed discription of how to get the wheel off

1. park your car flat under cover (as it can take half an hour) with your car on! hold your wheel stright so that both wheels are facing forward, then turn your wheel to the right till the bottom spoke of your steering wheel is at a diagonal pointing postion to your rear veiw mirror ( the reason for doing this is because there is a angle sensor behind your wheel, this wil stop the air bag computer reading that the wheel has been changed , take a photo of your wheels position and you cant go wrong)

2. turn your car off and remove your battery terminal + side only, press the brake pedal 3 to 4 times to disapate any left over charge in the system,

3. you will find two plastic squares just behind your wheel, which are removable with a small flat blade screw driver, you will find a yellow plug under one of these, this is the ignitor plug for the air bag disconnect it before removing the bolt next to it, make sure to have your face n body away from the wheel as u disconnect this (just incase)

4. once you have disconnected the air bag continue with removing the two bolts which hold the air bag in place, there will be a second plug coloured black also you will find this as u lift the air bag out, it is held on by a plastic clip and will just slide off and continue to disconect, slide the air bag out.

5.once you have removed the air bag there is one nut to remove, its big and directly in the center of the wheel, you will need to hold the wheel as u try to turn the nut as its dam tight! once you have removed the nut the wheel is ready to be removed, you will need a rubber covered hammer or something slightly heavy to bang round the out side edges of the wheel because even though the nut is removed it will be stuck into place from the sealant nissian use, this may take some time but the wheel will just come off in a forward motion towards you, you may want to use some white out to mark the postion of the wheel on the rack bolt so that it goes on, in the same postion when you remove it

just work your way back to put the wheel back on, n make sure you have a star head security bit to remove the air bag im unsure of size as i just have a kit
hope this helps

Reaction score
thanks...

about the airbag i know but its my project car and it don´t seen a batterie for nearly a year :D.
want to replace it with a momo "drifting" wheel.

did u know the size of the nut? is it a special one like torx?

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm sure the central nut that attached steering wheel to boss/column is no bigger than 21mm. I've not got any socket bigger than 21mm in my tools arsenal lol and I just took off my aftermarket wheel the other day to check summat :)

One trick is to keep the central nut on a few threads at the end (don't take it completely off) cos when you are pulling at the stock steering wheel to get it off that god-forsaken spline, you don't wanna suddenly yank and get your teeth smashed cos it will come out at some speed/force!!! ;)

J

JapanS15

All I had to do is wiggle the steering wheel loose and pull real hard (after attaching hardware was removed of course). Careful.... as LuPix said, it will come off rather quickly once it breaks loose.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The whole process is fairly straightforward except for the torx screws. As Meddler stressed though, you must make sure there is no residual battery charge. Before I threw out my old steering wheel last year I discharged the airbag....using just a 9v battery.

Reaction score
the hkb steering wheel hub comes with a small torx screw wrench. It doesnt provide enough torque tho... i ended up screwing up the bolt head, and cut it off with a dremel tool.

oh and one important piece of advice: remove the center nut (the 21mm one), then thread it back on alittle bit. That way, when u pull off the steering wheel, it stops at the nut instead of flying off.

also, u dont need a hammer to pull it off. just rock the steering wheel side to side as ur pulling it. I didnt even need alot of force when i was pulling mine off.

Last edited:
J

JapanS15

Its a Torx T30 No need to drill anything if you buy a torx set for fairly cheap.